• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 day summer rebuild

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
not to mention the time to paint it yourself could easily take weeks if you decided to go that route too.

I'd go with the suggestion above. Paint the undersides and then lay a quick coat of primer on the outside. Paint later down the road. I did that with my CJ7 and it didn't look too bad driving it around! The black you see are new parts, and the two tone primer is where I bought two different brands :rolleyes:

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
not to mention the time to paint it yourself could easily take weeks if you decided to go that route too.

I'd go with the suggestion above. Paint the undersides and then lay a quick coat of primer on the outside. Paint later down the road. I did that with my CJ7 and it didn't look too bad driving it around! The black you see are new parts, and the two tone primer is where I bought two different brands :rolleyes:

View attachment 42734
View attachment 42735
View attachment 42736

How do you know where to park your CJ-7? It doesn't appear to have "Marked It's Spot" on the driveway? :confused: :wave:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I agree. You could just put any flat color on it. I've been driving this one about 10 years this way - a bunch of cans of rustoleum "sand tan" textured finish. it's flat and rough to the touch a bit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400794005.465002.jpg

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Day 7:

As far as paint: http: //www.sprayboothrental.com

I visited them a couple weeks ago and it seams like they could do paint job will be relatively cheep

my parts list is growing and i think i will order everything on monday

not much else today

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
How do you know where to park your CJ-7? It doesn't appear to have "Marked It's Spot" on the driveway? :confused: :wave:

It never developed a leak the entire time I had it up and running. The guy I sold it to has put many miles on it and hasn't had one problem with it. Like they say, the sun shines on a dog's arse every now and then. :thumbsup:

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Days 8-14:

family vacation plus nationals for rowing has delayed me for the past few days but we are ready to get back on track!!!

over the brake i bought some parts:

NAPA cassie saver
a set of wide track axles
skid plate
hood accessories
automotive paint
warn hubs
an a handful of other parts
IMG_1498_zps33e2d1f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1501_zps1f38e39f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
It is something you will remember the rest of your life.
My wife rebuilt her 76 with her father to start and then I helped finish it when we met.
She says she can never sell it ever because of the memories she had working with her father on it... apparently not as much with me ;)

Keep it slow and steady and you will get there... looks good and you will like the wide tracks vs. the narrows!

cb

scramble1983

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
tx
A professional paint job could very easily eat up the majority of time you have left to finish this. Many folks on here waited more than 100 days to get theirs back from paint shops. Just a heads up for the sake of planning :shrug:

I waited almost a year..it's hard to find a quality place that will have a quick turn around time, also , there are always hiccups along the road...unless you want a cheap Earl Scheib paint job , do a temporary job yourself

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Day 15:

pulled out the drive shafts and successfully dropped one of the universal joints with all the race barring all over the floor... :banghead:

i pulled out the transfer case and transmission but i can't seem to get them apart...?

I working on the rear axles ALL DAY and i am having the hardest time.... i have a puller and i got the one side off no problem... but i mushroomed the other end of the axle, i really hope i can use a tap and die to fix it. If not i may have ruined my new axle .... HELP

i took the old skid plate out, the people who rebuild this jeep before me seamed to to a lot of things really cheap, this skid plat isn't even from a cj and they just bolted some angle iron on...

IMG_1512_zpsd2bb504d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1506_zps23c6878b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1508_zps326e93e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
There are special pullers to remove the hubs from the shaft but having said that I have had to take the drive shaft out of the axle and put it in a press to get the hub to part company with the shaft before now.
One piece shafts would cure that issue but depends on your budget i suppose.

Hope you are enjoying yourself, id love to spend 100 days on my Scrambler, im nearer the 100 month mark now:rotfl:

Jeepin

Legacy Registered User
City
Dexter
State
MI
With a V8 and a lift, you might as well save yourself the trouble on the 2pc axle shafts and upgrade to the 1pc units right now. Then you can just cut the bearings off the old shafts, nab the backing plates and move on.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
With a V8 and a lift, you might as well save yourself the trouble on the 2pc axle shafts and upgrade to the 1pc units right now. Then you can just cut the bearings off the old shafts, nab the backing plates and move on.

Even if you got them apart, having separated them and then tried to reassemble them would likely lead to spinning a hub anyway. Fully agree on going with one piece shafts now, while everything is apart and spare yourself the trouble. Save money elsewhere to cover the cost, the two-piece shafts aren't worth bothering.

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Days 16&17:

yesterday we went sailing so we didn't get a lot done.

today we pulled out the clutch and half of the exhaust. the clutch feels good and looks like it is really new so i think I'm going to hold on to this one... I went to see a guy about some used BFG a/t 33's and i was disappointed with how torn up they were, i did get them but I'm still looking.

My father and i had a long discussion about the V8(wether or not we keep it or go to a 4.2,4.0) it seams like there is a significant number of variables that need to be weight but ultimately because of fuel economy, reliability, and safety ............

WE ARE GOING TO SELL THE AMC 360 AND PUT A FEUL INJECTED 4.0 IN!!!!

We worked on the differential on the new axles, they are 3.31's and the one we opened looks good

other then that we have fallen another day behind on the schedule but I already know we will have some sleepless nights in order to get back on track

IMG_1520_zpse425ac08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1519_zpsb8487ad1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Tobby has convinced me to keep the AMC 360... my father agrees and we will continue on with high hopes and expectation!!! I don't know if we are going to try and switch to a fuel injected system or not....

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Good call. A good running and sounding amc v8 u just can't beat it for drive ability fun. I'm glad to hear this too. Plus it's already there. :)

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Tobby has convinced me to keep the AMC 360... my father agrees and we will continue on with high hopes and expectation!!! I don't know if we are going to try and switch to a fuel injected system or not....

I think this is a great choice with your timeline!!!!

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
Day 18:

finally got the axle apart, the transfer case off the transmission, the exhaust and manifolds are out along with the brake boost. I booked the sandblast/beed blast booth for next Wednesday the 11th ...

i will start degreasing and prepping tomorrow, hopefully i will get the engine up on a stand and get frame all cleaned up

IMG_1530_zps3a57fd4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1527_zpsc0a54983.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Great pictures. :thumbsup:

Keep focesed and steady.

Sent you a PM :wave:

Eliot

Basic User
City
shawnee
State
KS
day 19:

June 4th... also happens to be my 19th birthday, ALSO, happens to be my dad's birthdays on june 16th!!!

other then that i spent a lot of the day getting the engine out of the chase, other then they there wasn't a lot done....!

It was a birthday well spent!!

IMG_1536_zps1d504784.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1534_zps340b6732.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1532_zps0d90a0b6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]