• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Aaron's CJ8 Rebuild back from 15 years on the farm.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Stroker vs. GM V8?
Each could make you happy but the one knock against the stroker is it's powerband. If it is like my hopped up 258 it will be GREAT down low but on the highway it does not have the rpms of a V8. Ex, you are cruising at 2200 rpm and you can pull to approx 4,000 rpm but a good V8 can pull to 6,000 and likely putting out 100 more HP than a stroker, and possibly getting as good or better fuel mileage. I love my 258, but if I do it over, I may go modern Fuel Injected V8.

to be fair knock against the V8 are the adapters, time to solve problems, radiator, throttle/trans linkages, header clearance, exhaust routing, gauge wiring, and the power to break every drive line component between the bell housing and the tires. Hence my decision to keep the I6.

YJ-8

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Another thing to think on is what's good in your jeep. If you are rebuilding the jeep you probably are going to put a new radiator, engine mounts, header/exhaust manifold etc. The engine to trans adapter can set you back 400. to 600 or so bucks. If you decide to go with a different transfer case that could require another adapter also so if you can get (an example) a gm trans and transfer case together off a donor truck you can save one adapter (if you aren't happy with the d300). Depending on the trans you have, a v8 you might have to be a little gently with (that's one of the reasons I kept the turbo 400). Almost anything you do (besides the 4.2) you may have to change drive shafts. If you do a stroker, make sure it's put together properly. There are constant stories of not balancing the parts correct and having problems with knock etc.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Another thing I forgot to mention is where you live. If you have the emission's police they may require the same year or newer and all the emissions equipment from the donor car (a whole world of headaches).

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
No emissions issues here. My other jeep is running vortec 4.3 and th350. The point of this scrambler is street cruising and maybe a jamboree or mountain trip but my orange jeep handles the hardcore.

Since we build go engines, several thousand a year I'm leaning that way.

Only issue would be keeping the 300 and deciding on new trans.

Part of it is what is my current engine and trans worth?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Sounds like you got a good start on the engine. Now if you can find a trans you like that bolts up to the engine (overdrive a must) you can make a decision on if you want to use the 300 (if they make a adapter) and then you would only have one adapter to get. I'm guessing from what I've seen the 4.2 if it's in good running condition would be a few hundred and I've seen the 300's (asking price) in about the same area. Probably not going to be a big money maker from what I've seen, I'm sure other members with more experience on the sale of 4.2's can help and chime in. If the 300 is in good condition it might be a trade off for the adapter vs finding another transfer case that's in good condition.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
For Street driving i love my injected 4.7 stroker, and with that being said, the ZZ4 in my Sand Dune Scrambler would be hard to beat. :wave:

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Mine is a 4.2 bottom end with a 4.0L top and EFI, Idont know if thats the same as a stroker or not, friends have referred to it as such but IDK if it technically qualifies. Bottom line is though that knowing what I know now I wouldnt bother doing it again, the mileage is ok, but not better than with a carb, power is slightly better, itdoes always start and runs great, except that it requires premium and still knocks and pings. If Ihad the money back Id spend a little more and do a v8 or 4.3 v6 and an OD auto. Thats one man's opinion

as far as size tire on the roll bar, I run my 12.5x35 spare up there on very simple mount that I built

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I forgot to mention, a buddy buys and flips or parts out jeeps and is now buy 4.2s for the rotating parts and has been giving 2-400 per motor depending on condition and what other parts are included. I'm picking one up tomorrow hes giving 300 for the engine and one next week that is 200 for the disassembled engine and another 50 for some other parts.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I can sure send you one Aaron, let me know where youd like meto send it as posting pics here is beyond my patience level

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Decided to sell stock motor and trans. Building a mild 383 at work for the jeep, debating nv4500 and auto trans.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Thanks for the tire carrier pics. We made good progress this weekend by getting power train pulled and ready for a new home. Also master rebuild kits and 4:56 gears arrived for axle rebuild. Few pics below from yesterday.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Direction changed on the engine swap. A buddy of mine needed to dump his trail rig, a 91 X on 33's.so I bought it to swap into the cj8. I've read a few swaps on here and everyone seems happy with it. Plus it will allow my wife to drive the cj8. Yesterday picked it up and got it running with a new fuel pump. Not bad for $500.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Father (a mechanic) told me when I was young if it runs it worth 500.00. That's definitely worth more. Nice friend.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Thanks jammer. It's going to an event called Marty crawl at smorr next weekend. Then teardown a part out the rest.

Anyone use xj column in cj?

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Going to start ordering floor pans this week and maybe new bed floor.

Any recommendations or things to avoid?

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
New floors and corners are ordered. One of my buddies got the welded in roll bar cut out. Now time to start cutting floors out. Trying to find deal on rear floor.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
New keyparts floor pans have arrived hoping for a productive weekend.

Also a Dana 30 carrier so I can re gear the front soon.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Spent yesterday in the shop. We got the welded in diamond tread out, only to find a floor that would've been easily patched. To bad now it's all cut up. We also got firewall stripped of all the remaining parts. Still working to get floor pans and original bed floor cut out.