• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Any Jeep pics you want to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I like it for the entertainment value and would like for it to stay open. The resource/educational value of this site is great but IMO it’s good to have a casual thread.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I like it for the entertainment value and would like for it to stay open. The resource/educational value of this site is great but IMO it’s good to have a casual thread.
I’m a broken record. That’s the entire ScRamblings forum.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
@bigwalton

I'm a lifetime member and thankful for this site so I'll stop my rant on why I think this thread should stay.

Looking for candid feedback here on the next scenario:

There is a local guy that has a '74 CJ5 Renegade that he bought new and has kept it all original. It looks amazing. When I have seen him I either am driving and can't get a pic or it's parked at the grocery store amongst other vehicles and no good way to get a good pic. I've spoken to him one time and he's a quiet man. Simply said "I had always wanted one and might as well keep it until I'm gone" and that's it.

In my mind, if I were to ever get a good pic of it I would think this thread would be the best place for it. It's a 5, there really isn't a story to go along with it except the couple lines I shared above, and not sure what else would be said about it. I would think a thread just for that would clog the search feature. However I am by no means an internet guru so I don't understand the ins and outs of the search function.

In all seriousness, if I were to ever get a good pic of this CJ5, where would be the place to share it?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
@bigwalton

I'm a lifetime member and thankful for this site so I'll stop my rant on why I think this thread should stay.

Looking for candid feedback here on the next scenario:

There is a local guy that has a '74 CJ5 Renegade that he bought new and has kept it all original. It looks amazing. When I have seen him I either am driving and can't get a pic or it's parked at the grocery store amongst other vehicles and no good way to get a good pic. I've spoken to him one time and he's a quiet man. Simply said "I had always wanted one and might as well keep it until I'm gone" and that's it.

In my mind, if I were to ever get a good pic of it I would think this thread would be the best place for it. It's a 5, there really isn't a story to go along with it except the couple lines I shared above, and not sure what else would be said about it. I would think a thread just for that would clog the search feature. However I am by no means an internet guru so I don't understand the ins and outs of the search function.

In all seriousness, if I were to ever get a good pic of this CJ5, where would be the place to share it?

This is what this thread has done and PRECISELY why I hate it. Before this, no one would EVER think twice about starting a thread for that in the ScRamblings section titled “Sweet one owner CJ5 Renegade pics” with a blurb about it and the pics.

People would see it and comment on it. The discussion would stay pretty much on topic about that sweet rig, other cool one-owner Jeeps or whatever.

Someone could remember that cool one-owner renegade CJ5 five years from now and search that phrase and find that thread easily.

Why in hell everyone all of a sudden decided that would have to go in this one catch-all thousands post long thread in which **MANY other forum members will never look** and where it will be buried by a bunch of **COMPLETELY** unrelated other posts in no time flat.

Not trying to be an ass but the very fact that you have to ask this is the PERFECT example of why this thread angers me so much.

From the description of the ScRamblings subforum: “just a bunch of people standing around the tailgate of their CJ-8 shooting the breeze.”

How does your example NOT fit that perfectly????

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am a forum member of a motorcycle site and was a admin for a number of years. This site started a catch all conversation thread and it became the goto thread to talk about everything off topic. It is still being used and when you go to the site now it is really the only thread that shows updates. This threads moves so fast about 90 different topics that you cannot keep up and I never even bother to go in it anymore and the rest of the site is dead. The more I think about this the more I agree with you Big Walton. Maybe locking this thread will promote more individual conversations on across the board.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
For the good of the forum, this thread is getting locked down. Entirely too many jumbled up posts on too many topics and, most unfortunately, hundreds that were absolutely worth starting a new thread for in the ScRamblings section, an entire section dedicated to any and all topics including ALL KINDS of Jeep photos. I recently pointed out a number of these that, before this train wreck of a thread existed, would have absolutely had their own thread for useful, meaningful and ON-TOPIC discussion.

That's bad enough, but what's the worst aspect of this thread is that people have been putting pictures of the progress on their own Scramblers in here, only to have them almost instantly buried forever by a dozen unrelated posts on all manner of different topics.

I rarely have to do this and I probably should have gone with my gut an nipped this thread in the bud when it started getting out of hand, so I apologize for that. Lesson learned on my part.

Now I will have to shut down any attempt to resurrect this thread or any catch-all thread like it. The new forum software makes it EPICALLY easy to start threads and post photos, PLEASE START MEANINGFUL THREADS even if it's just identifying the type of Jeep in the photos in the title, it's going to make for much better and more useful discussion and help people searching in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.