• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Aqualu (is not) shutting down operations - retiring

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Saw this announcement on their FB page... now I have to accelerate my tub decision.

🚨
WE'RE RETIRING
🚨

Aqualu Industries will be closing our vehicle replacement parts business effective December 2023.
We would like to thank all of you for your business and loyalty to our company over these many years. We are proud to have played a part in keeping alive the off-road culture all over the world!
We will be selling our current inventory throughout the year and offering weekly specials. Keep an eye on our social pages for these sales that will include full packages of some very unique parts that can be made into one-of-a-kind vehicles.
If you have been waiting for the right time to get some of our parts, this is the year.
We hope we have been successful in our goal to offer quality products and customer care, see you on the Trails!

330924919_924126322345143_1597419909296548727_n.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I would think that if they have a profitable business model someone would buy there operation. The alum bodies always seemed like a great way to go.
I would like to think so, but the vehicle replacement part piece of this was always a side business/passion project to a very successful boat business.

I'd wager that the boat business would be likely to find a buyer that had no interest in the side gig.

Looking at their social media, it would appear that this came out of almost nowhere because they were actively pushing this stuff even this week. I'm thinking they got an offer they couldn't refuse on the boat stuff and this is the result.

Edit to add: electric boats are a HUGE thing right now and I wouldn't be the least surprised if a startup/VC didn't find them an easy target to start with/build one out.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Other than the bodies for Jeeps, Were there other Jeep parts made ?

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Uncanny. I was just looking at costs for their tubs on their website earlier today before I saw this. Hmmmmm

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Holy smokes. They just replied to my inquiry for a tub. Very professional, very courteous, extremely prompt. Delivered to my house, a bare tub is nearly $8000...... guess I'll paint my factory rust-free tub and remember the days when I wanted an Aqualu tub.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Holy smokes. Delivered to my house, a bare tub is nearly $8000......
They were never the inexpensive option, but those costs must have gone up some recently with the price of metals.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The tub was $5800, so shipping around $2200 out of Canada. Is what it is :shrug:

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
$5,963 for tub and $2,590 shipping to my house or $1,490 if i pick it up in Orlando and don't need a fork lift.

I paid $1800 and $400 shipping for the FJ40 tub I did back in the 90s. Wow.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
$6k for the tub (without delivery) is not bad. I am considering it when my glass tub is destroyed. But if they go under, that may be a problem. I am not ready to replace the tub yet.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
The tub is very fair, I agree. I've always been so impressed with their product too. I only wish my tub had rot as then I'd just do it. I just struggle to spend that much to replace my tub which has no rust. Without the shipping I think I'd do it anyway.... but that shipping adds the gut punch.

I'm starting to feel like my grandfather when I was a kid: "they want how much?! Gee, I remember when those were half that price."

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
It's a desert jeep is whole life. Zero rust. A few dents but no rust. It's rhino lined inside though and had rock skids attached so not original. No other mods though. I'd be shocked if it's actually worth anywhere near that.

Attachments

• 20220906_181351.jpg
    20220906_181351.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 16

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I guess everything is going up... to fix the latest tub I am doing I ordered up panels from classic.
Shipping was more, they parts were (a bit)... but to "fix" a stock tub will cost you well into the 2-3K range without labor.
That is just for the parts needed and to ship them to you.

Finding a good tub to start with will run you money as well.

So when you are done (if you do the work yourself), you might be into it for $4K and have a tub that is not original, not Aqualu, but somewhere in between (depending on how good of a job done). The metals will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer as Classic doesn't make all the parts... some Keyparts in there, and yes, might even be some Omix/MD Juan stuff.

A full MD Juan tub is going to run ~$5K new delivered to you and you will have a lot of work to make it right.
You can get scratch/dent MD Juan tubs and/or people giving up on projects with them for cheaper, but all I am saying ^^^^ is that you are going to be into a "tub" for probably $4-5K range and that is with a lot of work.

I have never used an Aqualu tub, but if you get it, bolts on, and just works... the cost is not going to be remembered years later.
If you have a lot of trouble with any of the tubs you use, you will remember it AND the cost.

cb

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
It's a desert jeep is whole life. Zero rust. A few dents but no rust. It's rhino lined inside though and had rock skids attached so not original. No other mods though. I'd be shocked if it's actually worth anywhere near that.
Throw in the rear flares and we'd need to talk. :thumbsup:

I (like many) have thought of getting one for several years now.
One of the things that always sticks in my mind is the problems with oxidation when in contact with dissimilar metals. We had a few fire engines at work that had issues, and they were professionally(?) built and well maintained.
AK-RWC has had one for years now and would probably know the best steps to mitigate the issues.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have to admit I am scratching my head a little, 0 rust and minor scrapes and you want to go through all that work. I would find a good project someone was already working on and wants to cash out and get the aluminum body. Then you have yours to drive until you finish that and decide which one to keep or both. :shrug:

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Wisdom has never been my strong suit.

I've just always wanted the Aqualu tub. I loved the one we did on the FJ40 and I love never having to worry about rust. Living in Florida I'm always anxiously waiting for the rust to start on my tub. I never worried about it in New Mexico, but here I'm obsessed by fear about rust.

My dream is a galvanised TDK frame and an aqualu tub and then when I'm out cruising around in the rain I won't be getting palpitations from fear of rust.