• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Black Hills

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Does anyone have experience riding the trails in the Black Hills? I am heading there this summer and deciding if I should drive my Scrambler out or rent a SXS out there.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Should be a bunch here with input. National was in SD a few (maybe 5) years back. I didn't go; so I'm not good input....but......

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, we did the national there and it was a lot of fun. One trail we went on our guide sort of downplayed how hard the trail was and I think some of us were beyond where we wanted to be (me, considering I had to drive back to MI). I didn't have any issue, but we has some real fun on that ride :eek: I think there's tons out there you can do reasonably in the Scrambler though, that was just our guide IMO.

I think you'd need to decide if the stress of having to drive home (I am assuming from the way you said it) is worth it. As someone who basically ALWAYS has to drive home, it's both a thrill and stress to know that you've got deal with whatever goes wrong to get back.

Personally, if this were a family vacation, I'd go the SXS route for the sake of knowing you're good no matter what.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Thanks. It’s just me so I wouldn’t be spoiling a family vacation. I have driven my Srambler out there before. I live in MN so it’s about a 10 hr trip. My sister and BIL will probably be towing their SXS out so I would have some back up. I have an uncle there who is giving me some hardwood lumber I would need my pick up to haul but my BIL said he would haul it. I’ll probably drive the Jeep as you said for the adventure. I found a fb group that should be able to help with specific trails.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thanks. It’s just me so I wouldn’t be spoiling a family vacation. I have driven my Srambler out there before. I live in MN so it’s about a 10 hr trip. My sister and BIL will probably be towing their SXS out so I would have some back up. I have an uncle there who is giving me some hardwood lumber I would need my pick up to haul but my BIL said he would haul it. I’ll probably drive the Jeep as you said for the adventure. I found a fb group that should be able to help with specific trails.
Oh, then go for it... You should be able to find anything you want. The only concern I'd have in that situation is if the sister/BIL want to go harder in their SxS than you.

Post pictures!