• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bosch iBooster

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
One of the annoying things with my conversion is the loud vacuum pump used to power the brakes. I planned to replace it with a quieter pump when I came across the electric brake idea. Has anyone toyed with installing something like a Bosch iBooster? It’s used in several ICE and full electric cars. While it seems straightforward, I’ve never replaced anything with the brake system so I don’t even know where to start in terms of determining feasibility. I usually pass brakes to pros because I figure it’s the worst part of the car to have fail.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've looked at the hydraulic booster a few times but the added complexity of additional high pressure hoses and joints put me off. I do love the idea though.

The electric one reminds me of the Grand National booster which most folks replaced with vacuum at some point due to problems.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
The JEGs setup seems similar to what I have now. Traditional setup driven by a vacuum pump.

What should I look at for comparability with the push rod, bracket, etc… any tips?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The JEGs setup seems similar to what I have now. Traditional setup driven by a vacuum pump.

What should I look at for comparability with the push rod, bracket, etc… any tips?

Master cylinder bore and push rod depth are the important things to get right. You will have to mount the pump somewhere and have a good battery source for it.

Grendel

City
CHESTER
State
NH
Done this a few times, threads on Irate4x4.com, which replaced Pirate.
It's awesome,

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Replying to follow b/c I'm very interested. I went with a hydraulic booster fed by a mid-2000s Volvo electric pump (made by Ford actually) and ran it inline with my steering box, mainly because it was cheaper and seemed more bolt-in. The first few tests are not promising though. It regularly pulls 40+ amps and will sometimes spike during full lock turning and pop the 80A breaker I put on the main positive feed. Maybe it just doesn't have enough oomph to push that much fluid :shrug:

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Replying to follow b/c I'm very interested. I went with a hydraulic booster fed by a mid-2000s Volvo electric pump (made by Ford actually) and ran it inline with my steering box, mainly because it was cheaper and seemed more bolt-in. The first few tests are not promising though. It regularly pulls 40+ amps and will sometimes spike during full lock turning and pop the 80A breaker I put on the main positive feed. Maybe it just doesn't have enough oomph to push that much fluid :shrug:
The Volvo PS pumps were variable speed and were run by the CAN bus. If you do not have a driver for the pump, it will run at a low default speed.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
The Volvo PS pumps were variable speed and were run by the CAN bus. If you do not have a driver for the pump, it will run at a low default speed.
True, I’d read that the default is 70% power which I figured was enough.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Done this a few times, threads on Irate4x4.com, which replaced Pirate.
It's awesome,
Off topic: Wow, I had no idea someone had rebooted Pirate. That's great to see! First time I'd seen it mentioned and only further reinforces why we've fought so hard not to sell this place to those morons.

Grendel

City
CHESTER
State
NH
Off topic: Wow, I had no idea someone had rebooted Pirate. That's great to see! First time I'd seen it mentioned and only further reinforces why we've fought so hard not to sell this place to those morons.
Yeah, sorry for the OT, but when they took over all Intellectual Property, against the TOS, we broke out. I used to Admin and Mod PBB, now a mod at IBB.

Grendel

City
CHESTER
State
NH
So, there are two versions of boosters out there. I'm pondering the second generation, which is simpler to wire, from a 2022 Honda Accord, which has pretty massive brakes.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Very cool. Did you use this on your '8? I would be interested in the adapter CAD files.

Last edited: