• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

JJs Postal Rebuild Thread - USPS CJ-8 Postal Scrambler #94

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Is that a RHD firewall against the wall?

cb

Yes it is. One of the other things that "40 below" included in the deal. He basically had the remnants of another postal he was willing to pack in there , which is how this whole deal came to possibility.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Whoops that got cut off .. Meaning how this whole deal became practical to pay so much in shipping to get it all the way here. Ill have the pieces to properly restore this one to RHD someday, that RHD dash panel also being a major piece. :thumbsup:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Hey, can you post up a full on straight picture of the RHD dash.
When I rip apart the CJ7 RHD I want to see that one, the one I have and the YJ one I have.
I also have a couple shots of Dave the Sparky RHD Scrambler and yet another YJ picture he has.

There appears to be differences in all of them thus far.
When I do the rebuild thread, i will put pictures of all of them in there for the future RHD generation re-builders of the world.

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yes sure. I can tell you that it looks the same as the overlander dash except it has only one speaker hole. And all RHD dashes I have seen have the extra indicator light hole for the parking brake light.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
It look pretty straight .. Is there any rot on the floor boards?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yes sure. I can tell you that it looks the same as the overlander dash except it has only one speaker hole. And all RHD dashes I have seen have the extra indicator light hole for the parking brake light.

*Firewall... that was what I meant to say, not dash... my bad.

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have some questions for the postal gurus - first off, did all postals have a step bumper -

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415204648.304660.jpg

I haven't done any digging or google imagineering but wanted to document it here anyway so ill ask :)

Also did all postals have these different shackles?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415204722.358213.jpg

Things are so original under here and perhaps they needed extra lift in the back so I am falling on the side of the fence currently that they are original. However they are also so "hacky" looking.

And here is a pic of the barn door closed. Yesterday I added some paint brush off white paint on the areas of primer on the rear and also the bottom lip of the door overtop of por-15 to stop the rust for now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415204827.188251.jpg

Last edited:

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
Here's a better pic of the rear:
AKPOSTAL2-1.jpg

You got one of those nice side view mirrors laying around?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Mr. Boh - what two pics are they in post number 30? Or did you delete the pics but not the post ? :shrug:

Thanks for the research...I didnt think it had that silly plastic end cap bumper, for sure :)

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
Mr. Boh - what two pics are they in post number 30? Or did you delete the pics but not the post ?

Hmm, pics were there. Fixed it with the link to the pics instead.
FYI, that postal in full livery in that link is from the the Museum of Alaskan Transportation and Industry.

Last edited:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
The postal at the museum has a "normal" CJ-8 bumper. Postals all came with the bumper that you have; the step bumper with diamond plate on top. I am certain you have the original bumper.

I can check my postal when I get home, but I'm reasonably certain that they all came with the usual stock CJ shackles. I know for a fact that my front ones are, but I'll check the rears if you'd like.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Just for the record the 76 to 80 RHD dashes fitted to the 7s (in the UK anyway) had one speaker hole (like a Postal) and no cutout for the E-brake light as that was a foot operated one like the LHDs and used the same warning light which i believe is in the speedometer.
On RHD that also means taking your foot off the normal brake to apply the E-brake making it just a little tricky trying to apply it on a hill without rolling back!
Been trying to find a photo of one but failing miserably!!!!!

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Is that a RHD firewall against the wall?

cb

Spotto!! Keen eye. Take note about the J box and where it is located, makes trying to install a Painless wiring harness painful. Sorry, first thing I saw. Man those tops look weird without windows. Just sayin
Subscribed.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Here ya go Craig , pics of the RHD firewall. This was from postal #98, so for reference an '84 also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415911055.350183.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415911080.666425.jpg

Haven't done much more to it lately other than taking the rear bumper off