• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My De-Rustification Project

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
These. They came with the frame. I saw them at Q-Tec today listed for $183. They don't have the edges like the originals, but not a big deal.

1328c635a3bd2b0ba05d0093827ce52e-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So there I was cutting the top welds of the body mounts when the cutting wheel got to small and broke. Of course that was my last one. Short (but productive) evening. I will get more cutting wheels and continue tomorrow.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
They don't seem to be consistent. Can I just make the tops of the mounts flush with the top of the frame rails?

The only true way to know where to mount them on the frame is to put the body on there and then screw the mount in and then tack it in place.
They aren't even close to the originals, so before you cut them off, make sure the spacing is correct... from the frame to the center of the hole you are cutting off and then the one you want to weld on.
Make marks on the frame for center lines, etc.

165_6563-1.jpg

OR, just remove the bad section and cut the new stock down and make it fit

165_6566-1.jpg

165_6567-1.jpg

165_6568-1.jpg

If you put them too high or low, the body mount bushing might be too squished in there or not enough room to take up the slack.

cb
cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Sorry, the far mount here is a product of bolting it in place and then tacking (this is pre-tacking)

IMG_6908-1.jpg

cb

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks. I am planning on putting the mark for the centerline. I lined up a few and they seem to have the center holes line up depthwise.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Haven't read through everything, but you could move them up on the frame from stock and get a body lift without the body lift. Don't know what your ultimate goal is on the suspension/lift side, but I'd definitely have done that if I'd been in the spot you're at now and just gone with a stock poly replacement body busing set instead of the 1" kit I put on. Anything to keep the body mounts short is good IMHO.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Haven't read through everything, but you could move them up on the frame from stock and get a body lift without the body lift. Don't know what your ultimate goal is on the suspension/lift side, but I'd definitely have done that if I'd been in the spot you're at now and just gone with a stock poly replacement body busing set instead of the 1" kit I put on. Anything to keep the body mounts short is good IMHO.

I wondered about doing that. I will definitely consider it.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH

Excellent point... case in point, the aftermarket frame... it is taller dimensionally using 2x4ish construction.
So, by welding it to the top area, it is already higher than stock.
I can cut them off, reweld them 1" higher and get a built in another 1" tire clearance.

IMG_4239-1.jpg

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The front and rear mounts in the crossmember are the only thing you have to deal with in that case and you can either fix it with some welding or just use taller mounts in those spots to make up the difference (what I'd probably do for the sake of simplicity.)

In my case, I would have also allowed for the thickness of the PSC sliders between the body and the three middle mounts and avoided cutting those brand-new bushings.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
More good thoughts before welding.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Interesting day today. So I cut the tops of all of the body mounts and the front shock towers. Then marked the frame for the center lines of the body mounts. Then I cut the sides of one body mount and got it off.

e893e89a3bedaae077001f2787eabcf8-1.jpg

Then on the second body mount my cutting wheel broke. Here is the result

70266798507d54568659dce10707e138-1.jpg

a66ffd2be84924eb64ea642b2d15b4c2-1.jpg

When I got to the ER.

704c16adb45f9451a5bd0ef328ed4234-1.jpg

And how I look now 12 stitches later.

35dfee84920f67d1f701da7c0cb4f94f-1.jpg

So I will be getting a full face shield now. Goggles were not enough.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I had a cut-off wheel explode on me not long ago and just about take my finger off. I feel your pain-

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
O man ! Those things are the most unpredictable tools in any garage.. Good to see your OK. At least it didn't take out a eye. I sometimes use my auto tint welding helmet when my full face isn't around. It a lesson to everyone here .. safety first!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Holy crap!! Could have been worse, I guess and at least you had the goggles. When I'm going to do a lot of cutoff work, I do the full face, I'll do it all the time now.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Glad I could be the Safety First poster child. [emoji43]

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Glad you are okay. I see the blood trail picture in the garage and unfortunately in my line of work I've had to follow a few of those types of blood trails into the home. It always makes me cringe:( Again, glad you are okay.

Last edited: