• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Scrambler Substitute

CrazySchaefer

Registered Crazy
City
Liberty
State
MO
Man that is a good deal! How are they on the road? They gotta be better than tsl sx's! The look is awesome and makes your comando even more unique! I say +10 for being different.

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Updated pictures!!!

Here are some updated pictures of Goose with the new 39" tires:

2909054-1.jpg

How about a little flex:

2909043-1.jpg

39's make the 35's look small:

2909034-1.jpg

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Here is a shot with the 39's on the driver's side and 35's on the passenger:

2-9-09033.jpg

FYI, with the 39's my front and rear pumpkins have 13" of ground clearnace and the TC crossmember has 23"!

Here is a closeup of the front track:

2909047-1.jpg

I am still running a 3.73 axle ratio. We took it up the street and I floored the hopped up 4.3 - very respectable acceleration. With the 4:1 kit and 999 automatic crawling is not going to be a problem.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have to say, I really like the look from the photos at Oak Ridge without the nerf bar. Did you maybe make that removable or something? The ground clearance without those would be AWESOME. :thumbsup:

The bed is big enough to throw a ladder in to get in and out ;)

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
bigwalton said:
I have to say, I really like the look from the photos at Oak Ridge without the nerf bar. Did you maybe make that removable or something? The ground clearance without those would be AWESOME. :thumbsup:

I tried to talk him out of them:(

I'm going to ingore the other post of yours:D

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
bigwalton said:

Yeah, well if you climbed in and out of this thing as much as Jersey Joe and I did you would know why they are there. They do not hang lower than the frame and do not impact ground clearance. Just consider them handicap ramps for the over 50 crowd!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Grantshire said:
Yeah, well if you climbed in and out of this thing as much as Jersey Joe and I did you would know why they are there. They do not hang lower than the frame and do not impact ground clearance. Just consider them handicap ramps for the over 50 crowd!

I guess it's just that you did all that great work on trimming the rockers... I just hate to see all that awesome effort be so hidden!

I wasn't so sure about the rollbar, but with the proportions on this thing it worked out great. :cheers:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Richard, that looks GREAT!

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Amazing ride Richard, you and Ted did a great job with it and it's sure to be one of a kind.

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
That my friend is an awesome build!:bow: We are looking at a 69 Commando ourselves right now.:) Where are you in VA? Would love to pick your brain on C 101's sometime.

Later
Sean

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
CJ ATE said:
That my friend is an awesome build!:bow: We are looking at a 69 Commando ourselves right now.:) Where are you in VA? Would love to pick your brain on C 101's sometime.

Later
Sean

Sean,

I am in Richmond but get over to Charlottesville on a fairly regular basis with work. Be glad to share with you what I know about Commando's and am partial to the C101's. Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call.

Richard

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Test Run a Success!!!

After the near disaster at Oak Ridge last month when the Dana 300 locked up on RT 29 at 45 mph we had to pull the transfer case apart and replace part of the Lomax 4:1 kit. The low range gear had fused to the shaft and locked the rear axle making for an interesting and sudden stop. J.B. Conversions was awesome and replaced all the parts, helped us figure out what was wrong, and Ted got everything back together. John Nachman invited me to bring it out to his place in Goochland for a test run on Saturday so Ted and loaded it up and Saturday morning and off we went.

There were only three of us on the trail so only got a couple of pictures when we were playing it a creek crossing:

4-27-09060.jpg

42709061-1.jpg

The 4:1 makes a huge difference with the 39" tires and 3.73 gears! This thing is a mountain goat with the big tires and the carbed built 4.3 did not have any problems on the steep grades. I really like the TF999 too, no more double clutching to ease over the logs and rocks.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

4-27-09064.jpg

Trial run was a success with nothing broken and dented! We put it back under the cover and put the bird's nest back on the tire (see other thread). Wonder if the bird noticed all the additional mud?

Goose is almost finished, just needs the rest of the gauges hooked up, winch and CB mounted, wipers and a couple of small things. Oh, and for those who follow me on the trails, I have brake lights and turn signals now, too!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Grantshire said:
Oh, and for those who follow me on the trails, I have brake lights and turn signals now, too!

And you think that the gas tank will stay in too? ;)

Nice stuff. When does it get painted? :evil:

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Here are a few more pictures from Saturday at John's place in Goochland. Her is John making a 90 degree turn in the creek:

4-27-09057.jpg

Toyota playing in the ravine:

4-27-09054.jpg

Maybe next time for Goose, I'm still a little cautious until I know everything is right with the transfer case.

Thanks again to John N for letting us run his place.:bow: There are some nice trails, every bit as good as most of Oak Ridge, and it can be very challenging (no bypasses either!). Hope to run it again soon but not on a 95 degree day!

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
bigwalton said:
And you think that the gas tank will stay in too? ;)

Nice stuff. When does it get painted? :evil:

You need to get a color monitor, it is painted.:D I think the black and blue theme is appropriate. If I painted it yellow it would have to stay in a garage all the time! :rotfl:

As for the gas tank it is strapped in, not this "let's lay it on the skid plate" crap Jeep did. May have an issue with a slight leak out the vent tube at extreme angles, got to check that out further.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Grantshire said:
You need to get a color monitor, it is painted.:D I think the black and blue theme is appropriate. If I painted it yellow it would have to stay in a garage all the time! :rotfl:

HAH! Black and blue... nice.

I figured you'd be one for matching up the different bits, even on a trail rig ;) Doesn't bother me like it sits, just wondered. :thumbsup:

That property sure looks like fun to me!