• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New To Me 83--Parts Needed

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
what does one have to pay for a unit like this ? I am sure all of us "wantabe" buyers could use this as a reference point.

Appreciate the response in advance.

I paid 1500. I bought it as a parts Scrambler. Once I got it I realized it was too nice to pick it apart. The top of the motor was off when I got it. I have it at a buddies to be brought back to life. The whole Jeep was about 98% factory complete. The take offs were very minor.

Remington19

Legacy Registered User
City
Stevensville
State
MI
I paid 1500. I bought it as a parts Scrambler. Once I got it I realized it was too nice to pick it apart. The top of the motor was off when I got it. I have it at a buddies to be brought back to life. The whole Jeep was about 98% factory complete. The take offs were very minor.

That is just what I have been looking for in price range. Great for you. If you seen anything similar let me know.

Really looks like it will be sweet.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Well, since I am a sucker for punishment, I told JeepAddict he could park this Scrambler at my house, since he is out of storage space. This jeep is still "his", but possession is 9/10th's of the law:rotfl::crazy:

A few quick pics of the overall Scrambler.

100_4950-1.jpg

100_4951-1.jpg

100_4952-1.jpg

100_4953-1.jpg

[I
100_4958-1.jpg

100_4954-1.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A few more pictures.

100_4955-1.jpg

100_4956-1.jpg

100_4957-1.jpg

In my opinion, this is still a very solid jeep. JeepAddict bought this one right before I did. The body is very solid. The windshield frame is rusted out, which also caused some rust through on the dash. The fenders, hood, grill, front floor boards, and the rest of the body tub are rust free/solid. The rear bed floor is still solid, it just has a few pin holes, lots of minor "pitting", and is covered in surface rust. It would not take much work at all to restore this body back to perfection.

Mechanically, it is kind of "interesting":thumbsup: It only shows around 80,000 miles on the speedometer, which might be correct. But, the "big" mechanical issues:

1) the cylinder head is in the cab. PO said it had a miss, thought it was a valve, was not a valve, never put it back together.
2) bent leaf springs/missing shackle hangers
3) broke rear axle shaft
4) missing front brake calipers
5) missing gas tank
6) bent front driveshaft
7) missing various small/minor mechanical parts
8) covered in mud dobber nests (similar to wasps)

Between my leftover parts and JeepAddicts leftover parts, we should be able to bring this one back to a drivable status without too much cash.

This is going to be a "budget" build/fix, not some major expensive rebuild like my red Scrambler. With that being said, I am not going to take any shortcuts or do any hack work, this jeep is still in very restorable shape. We just want to stabilize its condition and get it running again:cheers:

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A few pictures of this 1983 Sherwood Green metallic Scrambler next to my '83 Sherwood Green Scrambler. They had very different lives.

100_5004-1.jpg

100_5006-1.jpg

100_5007-1.jpg

100_5009-1.jpg

100_5010-1.jpg

100_5012-1.jpg

This wont be a fast build like my red Scrambler, especially considering that it is already summertime here, with temps well into the 90's:popcorn:

That's it for now:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Aahaa...That's where it went... that explains the random nutmeg/sherwood parts I have laying around.

I pulled off most of the obvious of what is missing. bulhead, seats, doorpanels,rockers, etc.

As crusty as it looks, I used Kroil oil on the rocker bolts and only broke 1 while taking off both rockers. I was amazed.

I plan on making this my off road scrambler using parts that we have laying around and spending as little money as possible but still having a reliable Scrambler. Between Raymond and I we have alot of parts laying around. he more mechanical and me more interior/accessories. Donated parts always welcome :thumbsup:

I plan on bringing Raymond some 15*8's this weekend to help roll it around, all of the suspension from my 84, and other soon to be needed parts.

No paint job just some buffing. This should turn out to be a fun Scrambler to build. :fingerscrossed: :woot::popcorn:

Will_Texas

Legacy Registered User
City
Longview
State
TX
Jealous jealous jealous......:drool:
Especially of that price!
IMO that was a very good deal.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Short list of parts I need so far.

Front drive shaft for a T-176
Driver's side vent window
15 Gallon gas tank
Front and rear axle U bolts. The ones that hold the axles to the leaf springs

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Short list of parts I need so far.

Front drive shaft for a T-176
Driver's side vent window
15 Gallon gas tank
Front and rear axle U bolts. The ones that hold the axles to the leaf springs

I'm pretty sure i've got a front drive shaft, how about those mud flaps you've got????

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Finally about to start on this one:fingerscrossed:

Ordered a "master bushing kit" to replace all the damaged suspension bushings. Received 4 used 2.5" lift spring packs, shocks, and all new U-bolts so I can get this Scrambler back on a solid footing. Also received 4 matching tire/rim assemblies. Nothing special, factory white spokes with like 29" tires.

The rear axle shafts are both damaged, but I scored a free wide trac AMC 20 with 3.31 gears, Detroit, and 1 piece axles to swap into the back:woot:

My plan of attack:

Put on the new suspension parts/bushings/and add the missing shackle hangers.
Swap in new rear axle assemblly
Pull front diff cover, inspect, repair as necessary
Rebuild front rotor hub/brake/spindle assemblies

Once I get the above work complete where I can at least roll the vehicle around, I will drop transmission/t-case/clutch for cleaning/resealing/inspection and replacement of necessary parts. Once that is complete, I will pull motor to rebuild.

That's the game plan, subject to change without notice:crazy:

Once I get started I will post up some pictures. This rebuild will not be as fast or complete or as anally retentive as my red Scrambler rebuild, but at the same time I don't plan on taking any short cuts, if that makes sense?

That's it for now:wave:

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
did I miss something.. was there a change of ownership on this 8?

No, JeepAddict still technically owns it, but the title is in my name and it is in my yard:evil:

But seriously, yes, it is still JeepAddicts. We are just doing some horsetrading back and forth on some things, he needed some where to store it, I have a garage full of good, serviceable factory parts that I did not reuse on my red Scrambler..............

Besides that, I wanted to brush up on my engine rebuilding skills before I have to rebuild one of my engines, and seeing how this motor is already 1/2 way disassembled, just made sense for me to practice my skills on this Scrambler:crazy:

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
you want another one to brush up on? I can ship mine over for you to finish for me...

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
did I miss something.. was there a change of ownership on this 8?

Due to some title tecnicalities "not having one" Louisiana was a hard a$$ about trying to get a title issued for it. Mississippi however, which is where Spanks lives, only took a bottle of Jack and a date with the judges daughter to get a title issued. I left that up to him.:bow:

If I can ever figure out where he moved it to I will transfer title back. :cheers:

In the mean time he can play with it so I can follow him to the trail rides and watch him go up and down the hills there :D

:cheers::cheers::bow:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Was going to start on this project during Labor Day weekend, but due to it raining everyday (Tropical Storm Lee = +12" rain over 3 days) I did not. But, this past weekend was nice, so I decided to do some work.

Pictures of damage.

Missing passenger side front spring hanger.

001-1.jpg

Blown up passenger side lock in hub, missing brake caliper.

002-1.jpg

Driver side rear, bent spring, busted exhaust, broke axle, missing gas tank. Slight dent/damage to sheet metal. All rust is just surface/light scale rust. No holes or structural rust. Most of the rust on the frame is easily removed with a wire brush. I smacked the frame everywhere with a hammer, it is solid.

003-1.jpg

Close up of bent spring, note how shackle is flipped up against frame. The rust visible on the sheet metal is just surface rust/slight flaky rust. It easily comes off with light sanding. All sheet metal is solid. This jeep is in really good shape overall.

004-1.jpg

Biggest issue, engine has not run in awhile, cylinder head removed along time ago.

005-1.jpg

AWOL cylinder head, resting comfortably inside the cab.

006-1.jpg

Worst rust damage, windshield frame and dashboard. Have some rust free, used replacements to install.

007-1.jpg

Only rust on interior floor boards, driver side foot well. Just surface rust, no pits or holes.

008-1.jpg

Pictures of some new/used parts: used springs and shocks, new bushings and U-bolts.

009-1.jpg

Last edited: