• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

POLL - rear corner guards - integrated flares or not?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I am finally gaining some ground on my Scrambler build (seems like I start every post with this sentence!).

I ordered Poison Spyder rocker knockers and crusher corners 3 years ago.

I finished the rolling chassis 2 years ago.

I spent the last 2 years deciding if I was going to get an MD Juan tub or fix my OEM tub. I ended up fixing the OEM tub and placed it on the chassis today! Tub is still in primer and this is just temporary test fit.

I did a mock up today with the crusher corners and I really don't like the look of the integrated flares. It seems weird how much of the OEM fender mounting surface you can see but I really don't want to cut that out and ruin an OEM tub in case I ever change my mind.

Anybody have any pics of theirs with the integrated flares? Suggestions or comments?

I'll post pics later today.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Pics as promised:

I'm starting to like the flare now. The first time I mocked it up I didn't have the rocker knockers. When I put the rockers on I realized I had to slide the crusher corners down and this eliminated much of the ugly space around the OEM flare mounting surface.

Next question will be what color should I paint the flare. I plan to run OEM front fenders and flares so I thinking I will paint the rear flare flat black to match the front.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
It hard to tell how the flare will look with such small tires on. Once you get a bigger tire on there filling up more of the open space it may look better?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I thought about that also. The tires are 31x10.50.

I plan to run 33x12.50's. The lift is 2.5" Old Man Emu with 1" Daystar bodylift.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had the same problem initially with my Metalcloak fenders. I ended up rewelding the mounting tabs in a position I liked better, now the flare sits lower, almost level with the top of the opening. Initially it sat like yours and i just couldn't get used to the look.

Placement as intended-

Rear Metalcloak 005.JPG

Modified placement-

Rear Metalcloak 009.JPG

After paint and a little trimming-

Dana 300 018rs.jpgDana 300 019rs.jpgDana 300 020rs.jpg

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
You might want to consider the Xenon " CJ flat style flares" for the front, I think they are a good match for the tube rears. I am putting them on the CJ 6 with the rear tube fenders I made. You can buy them in just pairs on ebay, you don't have to buy all four.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
How much does all the thick armor weigh? It looks extremely heavy. Just curious.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I don't know but I would think not, the CJ opening is different than the Scramblers. The rear flare on my Scrambler are Bushwacker YJ cut out flares they fit to the body side out side of the raised lip around the rear opening.