• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Recommendation for Diesel Swap?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Has anyone considered a Detroit diesel 6.5L? I saw one thread but not much info. Designed to fit in same space as V8 and they still make parts since they are being put in humvees. I know it doesn't have best reputation but I also have seen later models have better reliability/weak points are known and can be reinforced.
Go BIG or GO HOME!

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
There was an 8 I saw on Facebook that had a 6.5. Pretty solid build. I believe it has since been ls swapped. The 6.5 should probably get more love than it has. But they are quite old at this point. They do have a cult following, but are still something more for an enthusiast than for someone having a shop do the swap.

I would love a Diesel engine in my Jeep. I would personally pick the r2.8. Really think they are a great option for smaller vehicles. They also have the perfect diesel growl IMO. Loud enough but not obnoxious like a 4bt.

I was around a IH Scout that was built for SEMA with a 4BT. It was downright unpleasant to ride in. The vibrations and engine noise would give you a headache.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
“Stinky leaky thing cjk8” is the name I follow. He’s been running the ls for several years at this point.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Has anyone considered a Detroit diesel 6.5L? I saw one thread but not much info. Designed to fit in same space as V8 and they still make parts since they are being put in humvees. I know it doesn't have best reputation but I also have seen later models have better reliability/weak points are known and can be reinforced.
I've contemplated the 6.2/6.5....basically every time one pops up on CL/FBM. The size is decent, and they can be mileage monsters if set up correctly. However, the roughly 700 lb dry weight is a bit much for Jeep territory, and the power potential isn't great. I drove 6.9/7.3 IDI Ferds for years and loved the dead-simple-reliable nature of them, the excellent fuel mileage (consistent 18 mpg is pretty good considering a whopping 7.3 liters of NA fury!), and the UNMISTAKABLE sound of them. I can still peg an IDI from a mile away just hearing that rattle. However, after driving a fairly kitted out 5.9 6BT Cummins, the IDI's lack of power potential is underwhelming at best...and honestly the sound has grown old. I do love the grunt and rattle when doing work, but it wears you out daily or on long trips at steady revs. Nowadays, I almost prefer something that is quiet 90% of the time, but still has a little roar when I lay into it...and rattle-trap mechanically injected dinosaurs don't fall into that category.

It's still fun to dream though. I often wonder what the 5.0 Cummins in the Nissans would do if unbridled a little bit. But again, adaptation woes...

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I had a 6.2 in a 83 GMC 2500. Not a power monster(far from it). I did not have any issues with it. I drug J20 a couple hundred feet and did not even realize the rear brakes were locked up on the Jeep. Sold it to a guy who was swapping the entire drivetrain into a Scout.

JDaPP

City
Clarksville
State
TN
Appreciate the info on the 6.2/6.5. I am not even remotely close to starting a project but my goals would be mpg and simplicity/ease of working on/sourcing parts. Have a 2.8l liberty CRD that I love but parts availability is starting to become a issue

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Cmath, how does it sound? We have a 6Bt in an old dodge truck. It’s great old engine, will go forever, lots of power, and sounds very cool and yes, loud.
When I get bored or need a new engine, I’m leaning toward the R2.8. When I rebuilt my 258 I had seriously Considered the 4bt but quickly figured out it was way to heavy and rough for my use (driving to town on game days and beautiful weather).
That said, it’s no fun if it doesn’t sound like a diesel. I drove a friend’s BMW with a diesel. Incredible performance and you could not hear at all. I’d want it to still sound cool but be able to hear the radio or talk on the phone.
Sounds great. Not as loud and rough as the BT models. Definitely has diesel recognition . Can always play with the exhaust if you like a lot of diesel grunt.

DBurnum

City
Evergreen
State
CO
I’m doing the R2.8 swap this fall into my 81. I haven‘t decided if I’m doing it myself or having a local shop do it, but for what it’s worth there are some here in CO that have done the diesel swaps.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
6.2/6.5 is still a good swap. not huge power for 1ton trucks but way more than you need for a jeep. And the torque is great. 6.5 comes with turbo which helps. Swap advantage is it uses same motor mounts as SB Chevy, same bolt up chevy tranny, so you can use what ever trans you want that is made or modified to fit a SB Chevy. If you find a donor vehicle you will probably get a 6.5 with a 4l80 or HD manual. Dead simple wiring for the whole thing. I have a few 6.2 sitting around for a swap but life has gotten in the way.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I can see a 6k plus difference going diesel and not gas on a build. What about, when it is time to sell, will the diesel bring 6k more against a gas vehicle? Or will it be the same value?
I didn't see this thread until now and wanted to weigh in on this thought.

My answer, from what I've seen, is "absolutely not" on being worth that much more -- plus you instantly limit the potential market. Someone thinking they want a stock 258 Jeep will almost always look at one with EFI or a V8 swap of some flavor, but make it a diesel and a lot of people will move on immediately.

That answer isn't necessarily specific to diesel swaps, you NEVER come close to getting back what you put into a Jeep build. This is true, for the most part, for any vehicle build cost ROI, but I think it's particularly true for Jeeps because Jeep people, on the whole are CHEAP AS HELL (me included) and think of Jeeps as non-collector vehicles.

I always tell everyone that's worried about "what will it be worth if I..." that they're into the wrong vehicle and that's terrible thinking to use to try to decide on anything. :shrug:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
We have a 1996 Chevy HD3500 with a 6.5/NV4500 at work. Bought it new in 1996, has been abused almost every day since new. Not as powerful as new stuff, a physically large engine (size/weight). Does what it needs to do, decent mileage, pretty quiet, no bad vibrations.

Research injector pump/injector pump driver issues. We have had problems with ours since new, GM gave us a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty on the injector pump/driver. They replaced it probably 20 times. When the warranty expired, we relocated the driver to the firewall, have only changed one driver out in the past 10 years or so.

Besides the driver, the injector pump itself uses some type of optic thingy. We haven't had issues with that, yet, but age and mileage does add up. I did just have to change the harmonic balancer and crank pulley, around $300 in parts, so look at those, too.

For a Jeep swap engine, I just don't know :shrug: They are all pretty old/high mileage by now. You could definitely get more bang for your buck with another swap :twocents:

Besides the size/weight, you would also have to contend with the intercooler/turbo stuff.

For a work truck, besides the injector pump driver (GM mounted it on the injector pump, middle of engine, bakes, and fries. Relocate the module, much more reliable) it has been a good engine/truck. A few clutches (dumb ass drivers), a few sensors, pretty reliable. But, IIIRC, only 180HP.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I built a shop (fairly large facility on Shepherd Drive in Houston) for M&D Distributors back in ‘99. The entire shop was funded by rebuilding the injector pumps for 6.5 Diesel engines. Food for thought.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I built a shop (fairly large facility on Shepherd Drive in Houston) for M&D Distributors back in ‘99. The entire shop was funded by rebuilding the injector pumps for 6.5 Diesel engines. Food for thought.
Actually, IIRC, when looking through the maintenance folder on this truck, the original injector pump was replaced under warranty fairly early on, maybe 1998-99. The second pump had been working perfectly, probably just cursed it!!!!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Actually, IIRC, when looking through the maintenance folder on this truck, the original injector pump was replaced under warranty fairly early on, maybe 1998-99. The second pump had been working perfectly, probably just cursed it!!!!
If my memory serves me well (questionable at times) M&D did a lot of the rebuilds for GM direct.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
As much as I love Diesel engines the LS swaps just offer too much more for less money. For a CJ it seems that all the swappable engines are either too big and heavy or too small/low output or lack transmission options. That said I would love an R2.8 with a ford 6r80 with an atlas on the back. That however is at least 20K in parts.

DBurnum

City
Evergreen
State
CO
Hey all, I appreciate the feedback. I'm building this for what I want to do with it. So not really thinking about marketability. Yes, it's expensive. I have a Defender 90 running a 300tdi and I love the thing. I'm not having to keep in the throttle going up steep grades or climbs. I'm a fan keeping torque constant if I can and not romping it to get up an obstacle. I figured out the whole charge air cooler and radiator setup and how it will mount. Should be plenty of room in the engine bay.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I couldn't agree more. I've owned numerous diesel land cruisers and currently have the Silverado with the 3 litre diesel and my wife has the Tahoe with the 3 litre diesel. There is no better engine for a vehicle then a diesel in my opinion. This holds true for jeeps as it does for any vehicle which is designed to crawl, pull, or or simply need efficiency.

I've put on many many many miles with diesels in The Australian outback and one of the great benefits is how simple and reliable they are. When you remove all of the electronic need for combustion the reliability is phenomenal.

By running biodiesel you then have the added bonus of doing something which is far less harmful for the environment too boot.

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
If money were no option, I'd do an OM606 (3.0L inline 6 from the E300 series Mercs) with a modified OM602 pump (mechanical piston style pump, similar to a Bosch P-pump).

Well you are going to have a problem here... The OM606 is a 6 cylinder engine and the OM602 is a 5 cylinder engine. So swapping out the pump will present a little bit of a problem regarding timing.:LOL:
Beyond that, Mercedes OM motors have multiple configurations that use both Bosch "P" pumps (in line mechanical with lower output pressure) and "CE" style pumps ( MUCH higher output pressure).
YES! There was an "era" where Bosch tried to make their mechanical pumps "fly by wire" to integrate into modern "CP" controlled vehicles but after that (common rail) GOOD LUCK!

If it were me I would find an OM603 and "pare" it with a Getrag 5 speed transmission (early Sprinter van) then divorce T-case.

I was fortunate that I found military grade motor and driveline from a G-Wagon and worked with a certified Bosch pump house to change the pump into PURE mechanical (I 5 axis machined several of the internal pump components to make it happen)!

Before:

before pump.jpg