• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

spankrjs's Biloxi, MS '83 Scrambler

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
My @Kim Dawson aluminum front frame cover would not just drop back on after I added the third bolt to secure the top of the steering box bracket. Pretty close:

20231104_100647.jpg

In hindsight, after I drilled the third mounting hole in the cross member, I should have bolted the aluminum cover back on and marked it. I didn't think about it at the time. Kim added recesses for the two OEM bolts, up to you to add more if needed.

20231104_103619_HDR.jpg

I didn't feel like trying to put a recess in the cover, I didn't need much clearance. Since I drilled the third hole a tight 1/2" for a 7/16" bolt, I don't need a washer. To gain a bit more clearance, I substituted the Grade 8 hex head bolt for a 7/16" allan head bolt. It is not quite Grade 8 equivalent, but pretty close.

20231104_103651_HDR.jpg

And installed. Gave me just enough clearance:

20231104_103635_HDR.jpg

20231104_103642_HDR.jpg

Forgot to take a picture, but after a little filing on the driver side rear mounting hole, the aluminum cross member cover dropped right on and bolted into place with no drama.

Took this Scrambler for about a 5 hour back roads drive today, steering is great, no leaks, good to go!!

That's it for now :wave: