• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What did you do with your Scrambler today? October 2014 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Cleaned and painted some parts in preparation of installation.
c13738b964684da5d8a5335ea263598b-1.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Worked on steering geometry and body mount bushings. Added high-steer arms and it's looking better!
Got the hood back on and reshaped the fender lips a little to clear the 35's when raising the hood clip.
IMG-20141008-01617.jpgIMG-20141008-01618.jpg

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Put on the little tires and went for an emission test (they won't put 35s on the dino for testing so I have an old set of 33s and rims that I use every 2 years for the test). What a fiasco!! It's always a huge PITA because of my engine swap but this time was a joke. The guy that inspects under the hood didn't know how to latch the the hood support when he closed the hood so it dropped down and hit the fan (then he broke my key for the hood lock off in the lock). Then they couldn't find anyone who could drive a stick for the dino test (when I told them I had a granny gear and they need to start out in second gear, they couldn't comprehend the idea). When they finally did get someone (he looked like he was about 16 years old) to drive it, the guy spent most of the test in 3rd gear (3rd gear at 65mph on the dino with small tires meant the engine was turning at about 4500+ RMP!!). Needless to say it did not pass under those conditions, so I get to go back and do it all again tomorrow (I think I may open carry my Glock when I go in this time... I didn't see any signs saying no guns). I swear I don't know where they find these "technicians"... they must cruise around and grab random people living in dumpsters or under bridges.

I don't think I have enough alcohol in the house to improve my mood right now. :angry:

DaveColborn

Basic User
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Valve seals and test drive

Did the valve seals following the TSM found on the below link. (I can't remember if I found this here or another forum. Either way, thanks to whomever posted it and the site host. Great reference)

http://oljeep.com/edge_82_tsm.html

The TSM is set up in sections, and I downloaded 1B part in relation to the six cylinder engine.

Easy stuff with my father in law helping. I had the gasket and the seals/deflectors on hand. A few tools and screwed a connector from my compression gauge to a short air hose to hold the valves up and not much trouble to get it done.

Couldn't see anything visible to the naked eye wrong as we pulled it apart and put it back together. Nothing wiggled rattled or was worn.

I did find after we put it all back together and started it with the valve cover off that there is a little smoke coming up the number six push rods but none the other five cylinders. Once it burned off a little smoke in the exhaust, it cleared up more of the smoke while running than prior to the valve seals. I had a suggestion from an old mechanic to just drive it as is for a while with some Marvel Mystery Oil in it, since it sat for a while to loosen up/seat everything/knock any rust off anything that might need it.

Started it this morning with no big smoking. woohoo.

Test drove it a couple miles. It's a noisy son of a gun. Reminds me of an old postal jeep we had as a patrol vehicle when I was in the Army. It needs a little tightening and lubing and this and that.

Nothing catastrophic and I didn't even need the fire extinguisher.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Put on the little tires and went for an emission test (they won't put 35s on the dino for testing so I have an old set of 33s and rims that I use every 2 years for the test). What a fiasco!! It's always a huge PITA because of my engine swap but this time was a joke. The guy that inspects under the hood didn't know how to latch the the hood support when he closed the hood so it dropped down and hit the fan (then he broke my key for the hood lock off in the lock). Then they couldn't find anyone who could drive a stick for the dino test (when I told them I had a granny gear and they need to start out in second gear, they couldn't comprehend the idea). When they finally did get someone (he looked like he was about 16 years old) to drive it, the guy spent most of the test in 3rd gear (3rd gear at 65mph on the dino with small tires meant the engine was turning at about 4500+ RMP!!). Needless to say it did not pass under those conditions, so I get to go back and do it all again tomorrow (I think I may open carry my Glock when I go in this time... I didn't see any signs saying no guns). I swear I don't know where they find these "technicians"... they must cruise around and grab random people living in dumpsters or under bridges.

I don't think I have enough alcohol in the house to improve my mood right now. :angry:

I used to have to endure the same aggravation in California. I had a set of drive slugs and full time hub covers for my front axle. When it got to be emissions time I just popped them in. They couldn't test full-time vehicles on the dyno, so I got away with only having to pass the idle test. Worked like a charm!

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I deal with emissions testing out here in Arizona a lot. The employees that work there are trained monkeys. I deal with horsepower vehicles and some still have to go thru emissions testing. The kids love to throttle the piss out of the SC other turbo vehicles on the rollers. I just get out and move to the passenger side so I can control(coach) how they run the test. From running them on our dyno at the shop, I already know they are barely passing. All it takes is a throttle hound running the test to fail it. So the moral to this is move to the passenger side and never trust them.

Chad K.

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
TX
The wife, kids, and I got the Acme hardtop I purchased cleaned and mounted in place. Worked out well I think, and I couldn't beat the price at 850 for the top.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
The wife, kids, and I got the Acme hardtop I purchased cleaned and mounted in place. Worked out well I think, and I couldn't beat the price at 850 for the top.

Looks great and a great price too! Now you just need full hard doors!

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Saw a grey scrambler with half cab in the Spencer WV black walnut festival parade. Was part of "Those Jeep Guys" Jeep club. No pic of the scram, but here was lunch...

c3d68ce439c7b12e3ef4fee92c23e906-1.jpg

e2fcd0d277115cd6d316e9de13ed1c7e-1.jpg

xjrev10

Basic User
City
Virginia
State
MN
Through some insurance on my Scrambler and I've been driving it. I blew a radiator hose on the highway about 2 miles from home. Got it home under its own power. Bought new hoses and spent a whopping $13 for a new water pump. Little at a time...

Also broke down at the parts store. Starter solenoid swap in the parking lot!

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I went out and put a few miles on the Jeep with the boys. As usual, Cole didn't last long.
d0fc6bf93f00f81f7d72c1dab503d297-1.jpg

hastings215

Basic User
City
New Orleans
State
LA
Tore down the Wagoneer D44. Now I need to clean everything, paint the housing, install all new bearings, seals and u-joints. Then have the 4.10 gears and trutrac locker installed.
Still a ways to go before install
ygydeze6-1.jpg

jeqapyvy-1.jpg

Oh and not scrambler related we got a second dog this weekend.
hu8abe9e-1.jpg
5e5a6eze-1.jpg
evu3a5u4-1.jpg
e9yqa8am-1.jpg

Another German Shorthair... Remi

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
suhy3asa-1.jpg

Used this cool hand impact hammer to remove the stock windshield bolts .it rotates very slightly way less then a air impact. 👍

Sent from my SPH-L900

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
suhy3asa-1.jpg

Used this cool hand impact hammer to remove the stock windshield bolts .it rotates very slightly way less then a air impact. 👍

Sent from my SPH-L900

I have that type of hand impact in Snap On. It is the perfect thing for those stubborn torx. Mine has more than paid for itself.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yep that's a snap on also. Its one of those tools that makes life easier..

Sent from my SPH-L900

KINETIC

Legacy Registered User
City
Palmer
State
AK
Got my hydro assist installed yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 147

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Moved the 85 white scrambler out of the garage for the first time under its own power with the t176 replacement, it was down about 2-3 months as I have had limited time to mess with it. Was about to take it around the block but the water pump took a poop and started leaking coolant. I knew it was noisy and on the list, but it just decides to fail right there after a 20 min or so idle. While it was in the garage the half hardtop got sold too. I may try to fit the spare (cut in 3 pieces) postal top roof on it for fun and line up the rewelding phase.

Last edited:

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
suhy3asa-1.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900

What's wrong with this picture?

Sent from my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.