• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is your go-to solution for carrying extra fuel?

jveesart

City
Shallowater
State
TX
Can anyone share the depth of the Aerotank? I’ve seen complaints that they hang to low. I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find dimensions.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
My solution is anything but bolt on, but I would have to say it can’t be beat if you have the body off the frame, and the ability to weld. I installed a 25 gallon K-Blazer tank, with the added benefit of an in tank pump. I did have to remove the rearmost crossmember and fabricate an over the top crossmember. I also gained an 1 1/2” fuel fill hose. View attachment 88673View attachment 88675

This is by far the best

BBroadhurst

Lifetime Member
City
ROSWELL
State
GA
Has anyone investigated mounting a rotopax fuel container to the roll bar using the spare tire holes in the roll bar?

I currently have the RollPax (new style from RotoPax) mounted lower down, but would like to raise it higher up on the bar, or have the fuel fit below the line of the bed so I can put a tonneau cover on. At the moment, the RollPax fuel containers extend above the bed so I cannot fit under tonneau.

Attachments

• IMG_7032 - Copy.png
    IMG_7032 - Copy.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Kudos to TDK for even building an oversized fuel cell for the tiny CJ-8 market. And it does appear to be well thought out and constructed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Kudos to TDK for even building an oversized fuel cell for the tiny CJ-8 market. And it does appear to be well thought out and constructed.
That’s kind of miraculous, really! Awesome.

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I agree.
But it looks like it includes the skid plate, fuel pump, and sending unit. :shrug:

Yeah, that price also includes a new tank crossmember and tank strip. Speaking of which, it looks like this tank is designed to fit TDK frames and requires a crossmember modification similar to what Randy did to accommodate the Blazer fuel tank. It’s not just a bolt in replacement.

TDK CJ8 Overland Tank Instructions.

Been mulling it over. Shipping to me is another $380, so almost $1800 in total.

Here you can see some pictures of it installed in their Helix CJ8 frame:

Attachments

• A9058057-85B4-4923-9D00-DA0E53183F4D.jpeg
    A9058057-85B4-4923-9D00-DA0E53183F4D.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Another

Attachments

• 8A612B9D-C089-48AA-964A-25B38C475E73.jpeg
    8A612B9D-C089-48AA-964A-25B38C475E73.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 27

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
And another

Attachments

• 19951A0E-B12C-475A-AB88-256B8E1DF943.jpeg
    19951A0E-B12C-475A-AB88-256B8E1DF943.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 23

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I guess they likes my idea!😁 Seriously, this is a great option even with the price. They should offer a weld-in flange mount for a GM style fuel module/bucket. That would take care of most all EFI conversions.

6xp

City
Yuma
State
AZ
I just installed a 30 gal. from TDK and it went in easily. The best part of the install aside from the extra gas and the skid plate (very stout) is
you get to do away with the o.m.e. fuel pump and sending unit. I also added a door in the bed should you ever have to access the fuel pump
or sender.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I also added a door in the bed should you ever have to access the fuel pump or sender.
This is absolutely required whenever I drop my tank for the first time (got the Jeep in '02, never dropped the tank :eek: ) and should be mandatory for anyone doing a tank IMO.