• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Need a Rig

JR1970

Legacy Registered User
City
Alpine
State
UT
I just sold my CJ-5 and am trying to find a new rig. I'm very interested in a scrambler because I want four seats plus a little cargo. I have a couple of questions before I take the plunge if anyone has some advice...
My CJ Chilton's doesn't spec any CJ-8 stuff. What is the wheelbase of a CJ-8? Is the width standard CJ?
I have heard that some people will swap in wagoneer axles on a CJ for added strength/width. Is this right and is it fairly simple?
If I buy a scrambler with a 4 cyl is it fairly simple to swap in a 304 or a chevy 350?
Thanks in advance.

JR1970

Legacy Registered User
City
Alpine
State
UT
Thanks for the info.
What can you tell me about swapping engines into a scrambler in terms of compatibility? Is the 4.0 an easy bolt up? Do you need to do modifications or use a lot of adapters? How about with a 304 or 360?

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
It is very straight foward. You can find MANY write ups on this topic. Just go to any search engine & enter "jeep 4.0 swap" & you will find more info then you need. Very few modifications or adapters needed. I'd get new motor mounts & read up about the flywheel, not sure why- just know it's important...
The other engines you listed are sometimes covered too, but not as often. The 4.0 is the most popular of late. Fairly economical, more power then a 4.2,
F.I. (no weird angle- stalling due to the carb)

BTW, "weird angle- stalling" is one of my 'technical terms' oh buddy have I got more!
Like "that thingy behind the seats" some less in the know call it a cab divider or <snicker> the bulkhead... LOL, all in the pursuit of fun

Mike (aka GreatCJ8)

taildragger

Bow Hunter
City
Norman
State
OK
the axle swap is something that i've heard more from with people who have large amounts of lift, large tires above 33in, or an SOA. the swap should be pretty straight forward with an SOA, but i remember right, it seems like the front passenger spring plate is more difficult to mount due to the pig (differential). With a 4cyl in it, i'd think that a 350 would end up being a good choice since some of the 4cyls were gm, another popular engine mod is to do the 4.0 HO head conversion if you end up buying a scrambler with the 258 already in it. But if your buying the axles of a wagoneer, then i'd just try to find one with a 360 and either the tf727 or a t-18 wide ratio and put all of that in the jeep as well, seeing as the transmission behind a four banger is probably not going to handle much more power, unless someone has swapped something like a sm465 behind it.

stillscramblin

Stillscramblin
City
Houston, Texas
State
TX
Jefe sent me a lengthy response a year or so back that became 30 plus pages of printed text when I sent it to the printer. If you have time, to read it all, you will find it very helpful. I will send it to you from the office today (if I remember).

Everything you would want to know about engine swapping!

Good Luck!
"Stillscramblin"

brenner

SOA Member
City
Lamy
State
NM
If you haven't already, check out "4.0 engine swap" in the how-to section listed on the cj-8.com homepage. Also, if you can find someone who has JEFE's web page, there's a wealth of info there. (sorry, I'm working from my laptop and don't have his address.)
- brenner