• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Dash Repair

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
A couple weeks ago I decided to replace my dash pad. When I folded down the windshield I decided I might as well tackle the cowl seal also, after I took it off I thought I might as well replace my old windshield. I spent an entire week removing tons of old silicone that a PO went crazy with on the cowl seal and windshield. Next, my wife see's what I'm doing and tells me I should go ahead and do the repairs on the dash that I had been planning on, after all I'm half way there. It requires removing the dash, so I've almost got the dash out.

My plan is to have someone weld a couple patches on both sides of the radio cutout, so I can put an original radio back in. I think if they just tack the corners then the new dash overlay will cover the heat discoloration. Next, I want to mount my ashtray above the oil & volt gauges. Then, I'm going to mount my factory fog light switch. Lastly, I will mount the AC unit along the bottom. I will also be replacing all the little dash lights and heater pulls and dash pinstriping.

Oh yea, since I have to pull the steering wheel to get the dash off, I'm going to go ahead and put a leather wheel back on and leather grab bar.

This is where I started.

george012-1.jpg

This is what it looks like now.

DSCI0950-1.jpg

DSCI0948-1.jpg

I'll post some when I finish SOON, I hope....

Last edited:

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Love how minor repairs on a Jeep turn into major projects... :D

your dash looks like its in good shape, if it wasnt I would consider getting a new dash made up by these guys
CLICKY
you could go stock or get a couple things added or changed. I got quoted $189 (ish) for a stockish dash.
something to think about. :)

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Be careful

Be careful with the weld on the dash for the radio. With all the cut outs it can warp/twist/buckle while welding. I welded in a patch for a bad radio cut out and it did just that. I ended up having to shrink the metal in about 5 or 6 spots to tighten it back up (very cool process). It sounds like your plan to just tack the corners may be a good one to avoid that.

RadioHackJobJPG-1.jpg

IMG_0776_Medium_-1.jpg

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
your dash looks like its in good shape, if it wasnt I would consider getting a new dash made up by these guys
CLICKY
you could go stock or get a couple things added or changed. I got quoted $189 (ish) for a stockish dash.
something to think about.

Those guy are good. If I were going to paint the jeep I wouldn't waste my time with this dash but since it's an original paint Jeep with no rust I am going to repair this one so it will match. At least that's the plan anyway.

Be careful with the weld on the dash for the radio. With all the cut outs it can warp/twist/buckle while welding. I welded in a patch for a bad radio cut out and it did just that. I ended up having to shrink the metal in about 5 or 6 spots to tighten it back up (very cool process). It sounds like your plan to just tack the corners may be a good one to avoid that.

Thanks for the advise. Yours turned out nice, very clean. How do you shrink metal? Hot then cold quickly?

Last edited:

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Thanks for the advise. Yours turned out nice, very clean. How do you shrink metal? Hot then cold quickly?

After reading all the different methods on the internet I used the one that made the most sense to me. First you heat up a spot about the size of a dime to almost molten, it will raise up and then quickly take a body hammer and dolly around the edge of the area that you heated with the intent to make the molten area thicker. I then used an air hose to cool so it was not to fast that it would make the metal brittle or harden to where it was unworkable. While you cooled it with the air it would tighten up and the bulge would disappear right before your eyes. The dash that once had a huge bulge became tight and straight.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
practice that on a crappy dash before you try it on your dash...

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
A couple weeks ago I decided to replace my dash pad.

And all this started with this quote. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I finally know what that is like for sure. :D

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Got the dash out.

DSCI0957-1.jpg

Here are a few pics of the "stuff" I've been gathering for this project. Also have some new A/C vents and knobs on the way.

DSCI0962-1.jpg

DSCI0960-1.jpg

DSCI0958-1.jpg

DSCI0965-1.jpg

DSCI0972-1.jpg

DSCI0970-1.jpg

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I go to my local pull-a-part every time they get a Wagoneer. Most of the time it will have an aftermarket radios, but not always. The best part is they charge $8.00 for a radio! I've also picked up several sets of Marchal fog lights and a couple fog light switches. I really enjoy the hunt. I wish I would have hit more yards after the cash for clunkers program, imagine how many big waggys got crushed!

perpendicular

Legacy Registered User
City
Pflugerville
State
TX
I would LOVE to have that CB radio!!!! Interested in sharing ;) ??? Seriously, I am interested...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is such a "Jeep" thread, from the initial project growing to a crazy effort, the pics of the carnage, the pics of the new parts, the drooling over the new parts, and the requests to be sent the new parts. :cool:

I love this place :D

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I love this thread....And I really like getting to see more square inches of this awesome original scrambler. :thumbsup: You are doing the right thing repairing the original dash, too.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Those are some realy nice radios. I'm sure you have realized that NOS radio face won't work with that style radio. That is the older face with the push type pins that hold it to the radio itself. If you notice the radios in the picture have screws holding the face on and the mounting tabs on the NOS face are opposite of the screw tabs on the radios in the picture. I love the color and condition of the paint as well.

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I love this thread....And I really like getting to see more square inches of this awesome original scrambler. You are doing the right thing repairing the original dash, too.

Thanks, I am still nervous about the repair. I dropped the dash off at a metal fab shop, he told me that it was not going to be a problem. I also left the dash overlay with them and kept showing them how much paint could get burnt and still be hid. :fingerscrossed:

Those are some realy nice radios. I'm sure you have realized that NOS radio face won't work with that style radio. That is the older face with the push type pins that hold it to the radio itself. If you notice the radios in the picture have screws holding the face on and the mounting tabs on the NOS face are opposite of the screw tabs on the radios in the picture. I love the color and condition of the paint as well.

When I first bought it I did not realize the radio face mounting holes were on the opposite corners. Everything else lines up and fits good, so I am thinking about drilling two holes in another Wagoneer radio I have (looks similar, but has a narrower face). I really want to figure out a way to get that NOS radio face in my revamped dash. We'll see?

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Got the dash back, and it worked out great, it's actually flatter and more rigid than when it had the big hole . In order to cut down on cost I didn't have them drill the holes for the radio post. I could do that myself. I just used the overlay to mark my holes then center punched and drilled. I also had them build the bracket that supports the radio from the bottom of the dash. With it all the weight of the radio isn't on the welds alone. They charged me $50 bucks for everything. I'm just glad it worked out and didn't warp up my dash.:D

Now I need to primer and paint to prevent rust then I can start reassembly.

DASH1-1.jpg

DASH2-1.jpg

DASH3-1.jpg

DASH4-1.jpg

DASH5-1.jpg

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice!! I need to do something similar but to mount guages.

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I got the dash and gauges in last night, but am going to take it loose again. I put metal screen wire that I had spray painted black between the dash and speakers. I got the idea off of a dash build on JF, it looks good and hides the speakers but sounds like crap (vibrates/rattles). My tach light is also intermittent, so I'm going to check that out too.

DSCI0987-1.jpg

This is the radio brace I had built, really simple and works good.

DSCI0985-1.jpg

I looked everywhere for dash speakers without protruding tweeters. I finally found these Sony Explodes. I got off Amazon for $30 + $11 shipping. I was looking for something economical and these fit the bill.

DSCI0992-1.jpg

DSCI0991-1.jpg

Last edited: