• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

18th Annual Colorado Scramble July 22nd, 23rd & 24th 2020

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
18 years and folks are still interested and I couldn't be happier!

Its been a bit since we have done something new so - We'll be going to Lake George, CO. We've never been there, heck I've only drove through it a few times going through South Park but its a quaint and pretty little town, but then again what in the mountains of Colorado isn't?

My self and a few others will be staying at the Lake George Cabins and RV Park. I'm not sure what they have have available still but the one of the owners name is Steve and his number is (719) 748-3822, I'm not sure what his wife and co-owners name is but he is a super nice guy and they have plenty of RV spots and I think some tent camping as well. For any other lodging info simply Google Lake George Colorado Lodging and it pulls it right up.

None of the trails we'll be running are especially hard, some may have heard of a 3 trails called the "Gulches"we will be running these trails.

We Will Meet Each Morning at 8:30am right next to the Cabins most of us will be at. IF you are having a little trouble, let me know or have someone let me know. If its not going to be long we'll wait for ya!!!

Day One we'll run 2 of the Gulches - These are Longwater Gulch (moderate) and Metberry Gulch (Easy-Moderate). These used to be joined at the end and you could run them in a loop but some years back the upper end of them were closed because there was a very bad fire there known as the "Hayman Fire". Once reopened the upper end wasn't re-opened as they went into a different county and I guess that county want to be a kill joy and closed them at the Line.

Day Two we'll run China Wall - Depends on where you look at it its Moderate to Difficult. I have not run it but my bet would be the upper side of Moderate but I've been told for a long time its fun, I think we should have a fun time.

Day Three we'll run Hackett Gulch - Its located back out toward the other two Gulches but not as far and is rated a little harder. Its considered Difficult and is a 7. Not to far from there is a short Moderate rated trail that we can try out if any one is game afterwards called Predator <----- I know I thought the same thing but NO its an easy one o_O .

With all of these it just depends on where you look them up for the difficulty rating but with them all I dont think most will have any issues and as always we Will get everyone through and we are not in a hurry - well not a big one any way :sneaky: .

All of the trails are in and out except China Wall. It goes in one end and comes out up the hard top a ways. We may want to turn around and run it the other way - If there is enough interest we can do just that, and of course any one wanting to head back to town you'd be on the same Hwy we go in on. As they say every trail is different in the opposite direction...

For those coming in early that want to run around (Adams Family :unsure: maybe) there are a number of roads/trails to fill time, you guys are the best at that!

As always I look forward to seeing all that attend - Last year we had a nuber of new folks come out so if you have never been now is a great time to do so and the trails are not as hard this year as some of the more recent ones.

Lets have another great year and lots of fun!!!

Last edited:

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Hey Dan, Linda, myself and the girls will plan on being there. Called Steve and booked a cabin. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Hopefully this year wont be as expensive as last year, but the Tahoe has a new 6.3 liter in it.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Yeah that is a bummer. A few years ago I had an injector go bad on the old tow rig and was stranded for 4 extra days - I understand completely. Did a 6.3 come in yours originally? I figured that was a 5.7?

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
Those are all trails I ran when I first started wheeling , I haven't been on most of them in at least five yrs. They are all about an hours drive from my house. Jody and I have discussed taking our fifth wheel up and remote camping in the nearby national forest which is close to where you are staying.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
***UPDATE***

OK so I just called the Cabins and they are full on busy and doing very well in the Covid world... Some restaurants are open and some are still in take out mode, which as far as I am concerned we at least need a form of take out, and I think there very well be more cooking on our own than in the past... So we are still a GO for the 18th Annual CO Scram...

Hope all that were planning to make it still are.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Hey all, I am hoping to have my Scrambler up and running in the next couple days. I would have to get a lot going before this event, but I think I can make it happen. Just need a trailer and a short test trip to get ready. My jeep is on 35s leaf springs, would it hang?

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
The gathering in of it self is for sure family friendly. As for the town I would think so for sure, its Colorado Mountains. As for the cabins you'd have to call them and see if they have anything left for our time frame and check the neighboring towns, they are all pretty close.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
The Adams and Nix will arrive Friday afternoon July 17th.
We plan to do some running around in the Scramblers everyday leading up to Dan's Colorado Scramble.
Anyone is welcome to join us.

Working out some routes/trails as not to double up on what will be run during the event.
Kinda thinking a run up Piles Peak one day and another day run (probably 110 miles) from Lake George area to Cripple Creek to Canon City via Phantom Canyon road return via shelf road. Still looking some trail routes for the other days.

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
The Adams and Nix will arrive Friday afternoon July 17th.
We plan to do some running around in the Scramblers everyday leading up to Dan's Colorado Scramble.
Anyone is welcome to join us.

Working out some routes/trails as not to double up on what will be run during the event.
Kinda thinking a run up Piles Peak one day and another day run (probably 110 miles) from Lake George area to Cripple Creek to Canon City via Phantom Canyon road return via shelf road. Still looking some trail routes for the other days.
Since you all our coming in early you are more than welcome to come by our place , Gary may get a little jittery with all of the mule deer running around our place. Lol

bhronik

Basic User
City
Loveland
State
Co
Lisa and I will be there! My mom lives just down the road in Woodland Park so we are gonna stay there. Will also be headed to the high Country afterwards and may run Wheeler lake and Mosquito pass if they are open on Saturday and Sunday if anyone wants to join.

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
WOW, I can't believe another year has come and gone. Linda, the girls and myself had a great time. it was great to see everyone. Ken thanks to the picture of Eva. Will post pictures soon.