• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1982 CJ8 Iron Duke Performance Carburetor/Intake/Header/Muffler

BigD21

City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Looking for suggestions to gain a little HP out of my 1982 Iron Duke. Was thinking of going with a Weber 38/38 DGES with a Headman header and Flowmaster 40 muffler. Any thoughts or experience with this combination and any suggestions on an intake. Thanks

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Looking for suggestions to gain a little HP out of my 1982 Iron Duke. Was thinking of going with a Weber 38/38 DGES with a Headman header and Flowmaster 40 muffler. Any thoughts or experience with this combination and any suggestions on an intake. Thanks
ManyFacesofSchwinn was looking for similar info ~1year ago, maybe he has some input. :shrug:

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I have researched also. I found you either need to go full race motor with a marine block, or a slight bump with headers with weber carburator. Not worth the expense in my thoughts.

BigD21

City
Waxhaw
State
NC
I have researched also. I found you either need to go full race motor with a marine block, or a slight bump with headers with weber carburator. Not worth the expense in my thoughts.
Thanks. I will most likely just go with carb, header and exhaust; if nothing more than as better exhaust tone.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I saw an article a while ago about someone who was adapting an LS head to fit on the Duke I think. @bigwalton, wasn't that you who posted it? Pretty impressive.