• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Scrambler "STUMP JUMPER". Frame off, 5.3 Conversion.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That sucks. Just like a jeep, one step forward, two steps back. That's why it's the "Never Ending Project". Still love them though.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Your jeep deserves the YJ upgrade. It's been great for me.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
That sucks. Just like a jeep, one step forward, two steps back. That's why it's the "Never Ending Project". Still love them though.
And I thought I had finished the Jeep.

Attachments

• !cid_image001.gif
    !cid_image001.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 113

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I shouldn't laugh I put the speedhut gauges and fuel sending unit in the cj7. Got less than one tank of fuel and the fuel gauge started acting up (went from just over 1/2 to full while driving from home to the shop). Never painless wiring harness (jeep was done over like the cj8 project currently doing, has less than 5,000 mi. since rebuilt). For kicks and giggles I put 10 gallons in the jeep and gauge went over full. Only driven it once since and gauge is now below 3/4 tank. Probably drive her tomorrow to see if the gauge acts up again. I do love my jeep, wife says she's going to bury me in the jeep when the time comes.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wiper failure....My new wiper assembly is already history. Hanging up on every revolution. This is a new Crown assembly IIRC and the Wipeboy wiper arm upgrade. It looks to me like me like the WipeBoy longer motor link is causing my wipers to hang up but it could just be a combination of both. Lets just face facts, the Crown and Omix-Ada stuff is just not the quality the of OEM products. I have a Jeep YJ assembly which is much stronger and is supposed to fit a CJ but I have put off trying it. I guess this is as good a time as any to see if it works. Biggest problem to me is I have to pull the top back off to fold the windshield down because I have the dashpad replacement that fits between the windshield frame and the cowl frame. Just a another hiccup.

As Chris says above, the YJ linkage is a great upgrade. But I think your biggest problem may be enlarging the holes for the wiper arm posts. But for me it was well worth it. Those crown arms bend way too easily.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Is it the arms inside the windshield frame that bend. If the arm posts are strong enough why no reinforce the arms. Would be easy to tack weld metal at the weak points.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I think it is more than stronger arms that makes this mod worth it. I think the improved bushings stop the arms from binding in the first place.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I bought a used YJ assembly when I was building Stump Jumper and I should have gone ahead a installed it then. Now I'll just have to make sure I have all the right pieces and order the wiper blades. Is there a wiper upgrade for the YJ too. Will I need any special length blades to do this to the CJ?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I bought a used YJ assembly when I was building Stump Jumper and I should have gone ahead a installed it then. Now I'll just have to make sure I have all the right pieces and order the wiper blades. Is there a wiper upgrade for the YJ too. Will I need any special length blades to do this to the CJ?

Here's a good write-up on the upgrade.
It has part numbers for the arms and blades.

https://www.cj-8.com/content.php?66-Installation-of-YJ-Wipers-and-Linkage-on-CJ-Windshield

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Stump Jumper on the Dyno.
b1654e8b5aa4b04bbd117f8c08aa8724-1.jpg

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Have them make a run with the new calibration and then a back to back with the stock calibration.

Sent from my SM-G920V

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
1st run was only 153 HP at the rear wheels. Turns out the throttle was only opening 55%. With a borrowed throttle sensor installed and some minor tuning the last two runs were 241 and 243 Hp at the rear wheels and 265 ft lbs of torque. So that is about 300 HP at the crank. I'm pretty pleased with that now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqJ4EvtZKc

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. Should make for fun runs out on the road.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Whoow, It might only be 300 HP at the crank but it scares the beejeepers out of me more so than my ZR1 with 638 HP.
This thing is kinda quick!!!!