81 Anvil Scrambler Build

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Last big step before paint... wiring. I have a painless kit (their previous version) that needs about 7 wires to connect with the LS engine harness. And then to make it a touch more confusing, I decided to go with Dakota Digital gauges. They look amazing, but combining all three of these systems was like playing a game of pick-up sticks with wet spaghetti noodles. IMG_0852.jpeg IMG_1387.jpeg IMG_2544.jpeg

Last edited:

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Fast forward 6 months, after we got it running, we ran brakes and then got it moving. Obviously, this is easier said than done. We ran into a bunch of problems getting brakes working, but that's how every step goes. I ran it around the block one time, running out of gas in my own driveway. We got it home and started stripping it down for paint.
Check out the Youtube link here:
It Moves Too!

Last edited:

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Meanwhile, I decided I didn't want to do a black vinyl interior. I'd like to do something a little more custom. So I decided to recover the seats and door panels in a saddle colored marine vinyl, with some nylon inserts in the door panels, and maybe later in the bed mat, floor mats.

IMG_3253.jpeg IMG_3401.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
More body work and then finally primer, paint and undercoating. I asked my body and paint guy to add an access panel for the fuel tank and pump. I'm tired of the dropping the tank every time there's a problem. I've never had a working fuel gauge, so that'd be nice after all of this :) IMG_4703.jpeg IMG_4704.jpeg IMG_5328.jpeg

Last edited:

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
New shoes! It was definitely a series of compromises. But I settled on some General Grabbers, 35's on 18's The wheels are Fuel, and have a slight bronze color to them. This is another case where I wish I could go back in time and redo axles. Oh well, maybe later, like when these break :)
IMG_4809.jpeg IMG_4737.jpeg

Last edited:

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Color! Anvil gray is pretty popular lately. I've considered so many different colors, including the new Jeep "sting gray." But in the end, I love how the anvil looks more blue in the sunlight. I'm really happy with it. We lined everything inside with a color match. I really debated about this too, but in the end it will keep the kids and dog from sliding all around. IMG_4812.jpeg IMG_4811.jpeg
IMG_4813.jpeg

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Of course... something doesn't fit. We realized late in the game that I never fit the roll cage with the hard doors on. And the A-pillars of the cage fit too snug against the doors. Crap! We were supposed to have all of that stuff figured out before paint and powder coating. Oh well. We'll figure this out later. 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg

Last edited:

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
So, real time- here's where I'm at. I should get the Scrambler back any day from paint, and then its my turn again. Plumbing, wiring, running some new electrical for winch, lights, there's no stereo. I've got transmission cooler lines that need to be shortened, and 101 other things left to do. But I'm happy with how she's turning out! IMG_0093.jpeg IMG_0091.jpeg

Last edited:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yeah really nice work ! Really like that color. Thanks for all the nice pictures. Those bumpers are pretty serious

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Wow, you've done some really cool stuff there! I especially like the jump seats, and the spare tire carrier.

You might consider dash mounts for the front of your cage, if you haven't solved the hard door problem yet.

Nice work! :cheers:

MikeV

Always learning
LIFETIME
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
Great write-up that I really enjoyed reading this morning over coffee. We used the same jump seats from my 2000 Ranger as well. It's wonderful seeing another family vehicle created for your adventures together!

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
MikeV, I'd love to see pictures of your jump seats. Here, I thought I was pioneering a new idea :) Did you put them way in the back? Have they worked out ok?

RRJeep

Basic User
City
Madras
State
OR
Wow, you've done some really cool stuff there! I especially like the jump seats, and the spare tire carrier.

You might consider dash mounts for the front of your cage, if you haven't solved the hard door problem yet.

Nice work! :cheers:
That's a good idea. I should look around for pictures of how other's have done that. I'd welcome any if you see someone who's pulled it of well. Does that typically tie-in with the windshield locking plate?