• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

81 cj8

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I was looking on ebay at cjlaredo's items for sale and noticed that alot of his items go from 70 something to 81 and from 82 to 86. Are there really differences between the 81 and other years (other than cosmetics?)

1980cj7

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
CO
Axles go from narrow to wide, door latches are different. I think I'm barely scratching the surface. When the rest of fourm sees this in the morning, the experts will fill in in sure

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I just want to know the general mechanical differences in my jeep and the later years

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
In addition to the narrow axles, lap belts instead of the 3 pt seat belt. Slightly different fitting of wood sideboards(different (size/shaped spacer where it attaches to roll bar). Pretty sure non-venting side windows on 81's (please correct me if I'm wrong here) which leads to non-venting compatible dashboard. Last thing I can think of is that your transmission options change as you get into later model years. I'm sure there are a few other things outside of decal differences and dealer installed accessories that I am missing too.

Last edited:

Jblank

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
New Berlin
State
Il
81's have the divot on the driver's side of the hood (or at least mine does). I don't think that's there after 81.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
How much narrower are the axles? I am assuming that a swapping to wider ones is fairly easy.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
narrow track is 53 inches front and 50.5 rear
wide track is 56 inches front and 54.5 rear.

Sent from my iPhone

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Take a look for a stamped code on right side, on the flat surface right next to the circular rear diff cover. I would guess 3.73 but could be optional 4.10

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
The two four-cylinder jeeps that I had both had 3.54
So I'm going to say 3.54–4.10
tu6y7y8e-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Narrow Track AMC 20
Code Gear Ratio Diff Type
AA2.73Open
DD2.73Trac-Lok
BB3.31Open
CC3.31Trac-Lok
A3.54Open
N3.54Trac-Lok
GG3.73Open
Q3.73Trac-Lok
L4.10Open
M4.10Trac-Lok

Sent from my iPhone

1980cj7

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
CO
Redking, if you go to rudyscjs.com he shows the process of swapping to wide axles. Look for the complete build thread of my 81 cj8

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Does This mean 81s are cooler and obviously rarer than later models:headbang:.

Mine has vented windows, but judging by an earlier thread they may be YJ doors as well:rotfl:

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
The letters are in that little rusty area
You will need to clean it up to see it

Sent from my iPhone