CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
My 83 Scrambler came to me with a 304 in it. Originally had a 258 but that was changed by the previous owner before the one I bought it from. Is their anything to look out for on this engine? Or just general thoughts good bad or indifferent that any one can tell me about it. My plan is to go through it but I am finding it difficult to find performance parts for it.
I had one in my 79 CJ-5... God that thing was fast.
Separate side pipes and no emissions equipment (I was a MI resident at the time).
I liked it.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
Jim, that motor looks great the only thing I would change is the Fram filter. I put one on my 304 when I first got it and lost 10 PSI over a WIX. I don't know if their was an issue with that particular filter but I had read several threads on other forums that WIX was the filter to run on AMC engines.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va
Jim, that motor looks great the only thing I would change is the Fram filter. I put one on my 304 when I first got it and lost 10 PSI over a WIX. I don't know if their was an issue with that particular filter but I had read several threads on other forums that WIX was the filter to run on AMC engines.
I will change the filter, I was told that by a friend already also
I got this motor with the purchase of 82 CJ7

Shrek

SOA Member
City
Saint Francisville
State
LA