• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Are these Limited Wheels?

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
Hi Guys -

I need some help. I picked up some 1982 OEM wheels. When I got them, I realized they were painted and covered in protective plastic. It looks like they might be wheels for the 1982 CJ-7 Limited, but I am not sure.

Here is the link: http://www.82jambo.com/82_Jambo_Parts_Limited_Wheels.html

Anybody know for sure what these are? Limited? Just repainted later?

Thank you!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
They do look like limited because the color looks like Copper brown metallic in the close up and they also have what looks like scratches from the installation of limited trim rings. I put my money on 95 percent they are :wave:

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
Thank you, Polarfire. I was not 100% sure how to include a pic. And, thanks to Jersey.

What I am really wondering is if anyone has seen that plastic coating before. Could these wheels have come from the factory like this and never been installed and this is the protective coating used? Or, have they been repainted and someone else put this coating on?

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Thank you, Polarfire. I was not 100% sure how to include a pic. And, thanks to Jersey.

What I am really wondering is if anyone has seen that plastic coating before. Could these wheels have come from the factory like this and never been installed and this is the protective coating used? Or, have they been repainted and someone else put this coating on?

That just looks like Plasti-dip coating to me. Just simply spray on rubber compound. I have found that the spray on stuff is very popular in the Toyota world.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I agree, OGRES, I have never seen any protective coating on NOS wheels.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
If those are the wheels you got from me... the guy mentioned his kid used Plastidip on his wheels for the TJ he had, it could be that he used it on these as well.

cb

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
Thanks, guys.

Ya, Craig. Same wheels. Just trying to get the story right if I sell them (I really want chrome). I don't want to say they are NOS or never installed if that is not the case, which they don't seem to be. Thanks for the additional info! And, the great service.

Eric

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
00z0z_hj0k1jOOO15_1200x900-1.jpg

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
Agreed. I think you can only say they are "Limited" if you can show they are NOS, since they have been repainted. The date is what I want and I may rechrome. Not a big deal, just wanted to get your guys read on them. If they really were "never-installed Limited wheels" I might have sold, vs use them myself.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
This pic was the one I was referencing above that looks like copper brown metallic :wave:
7c30ba70d043acadf0a2ca12180f9187png-1.jpg

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
I cannot imagine they would have been shipped to the dealer "pre-assembled" with beauty rings, so if those scratches are from rings, which seems likely, it would also seem likely they they have been mounted and used.

Just my two-cents.