• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Axle falling out?

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
I abused her friday, that's for sure :D Drove straight through a field of palmettos and felled pine trees, plowed down the elderberry trees, and didn't even turn away from those eight foot chainlink fences. Although I probibly should have as I got a flat from the second one. :o (Don't get pissed, I was only tresspassing on a construction site. They're clearing the land for development and the fences and trees I ran down were to go before the 'dozer anyway ;) Quite sadf actually. This area is running out of undevelpoed land)

Anyway, enough bragging. When I changed my tire I found that I could push and pull it about a half inch in line with the axle. When I slow to a stop it does a sort of rhythmic bump and grind, if you know what I mean, like thump-thump-thump-thump slowing as I slow, and a slight bump, especially when doing that Cali stop where I'm barely moving.

'84, my axles are the kind that have four bolts on the back of the backing plate. And I believe that the P.O. upgraded to one piecers.

Anyone know what I screwed up?

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Sounds like the bearing has gone. I believe the one-piece axle uses the bearing behind the plate with four bolts to hold it in place. When the bearing goes, it allows the axle to go in and out. With 1/2" travel, sounds like the bearing is just about shot. When it goes completely, the axle will work completely out.

Before you do a complete panic, let someone else confirm this as its been about two years since I messed with a one-piece axle and that was on a friends jeep when we installed my old axles in it and he did the upgrade.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Either that or you broke the axle.

You will need to pull it apart to determine what you need regardless of the actual damage.

Good Luck.

Commander_Kang

What was that noise?
City
Reisterstown
State
MD
Sounds like a toasted bearing to me.Ive nuked two now with my mosers and thats what they started doing when the bearings failed.

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Took it to a pro, it was the bearing and he had it fixed overnight.