• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Cj8 Steel Tubs

GREMUNTRIUMPHTR

Basic User
City
Anderson
State
IN
I'M A NEW MEMBER AND READ WITH GREAT INTEREST PAVEMENT POUNDER'S THREAD ABOUT LOANING HIS TUB TO WILLY'S OVERLAND FOR REPRODUCTION. I WILL BE NEEDING A STEEL TUB FOR MY SCRAMBLER AND JUST RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT OMIX-ADA MAKES THEM. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE QUALITY AND ACCURACY OF THEM. DOES WILLY'S CURRENTLY MAKE TUBS FOR CJ'S AND IF THEY DO WHO SELLS THEM, HOW GOOD ARE THEY AND HOW MUCH? WHEN WILL WILLY'S HAVE THEM AVAILABLE? THANKS TO ANYONE WHO HAS SOME INFO
 
You need to understand that selling them doesn't mean that they are the ones making them. Omix may just be reselling the same ones that everyone else is since the market is growing. I don't know anything about JP's aluminum tubs, but it would appear that they are the manufacturers. As far as the repro steel tubs are concerned, many of the ones you see for sale are all the same brand. I'm still digging to see if there are any new manufacturers out there.

One thing that needs to be clarified is the fact that Willys-Overland is not manufacturing tubs. They import them just like the other guys (only 2 importers that I know of), but the difference is that the W-O tubs are "fixed". I loaned them my CJ-8 body so they could pattern fixtures that will be used to correct everything that is wrong with the imported tubs. This way, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) will fit correctly when you go to install it. All the sheetmetal that the factory forgets will be added, all the correct model year holes will be there, and all the underbody crossmembers will be in the correct locations. I believe that W-O might be the only company selling EVERY model as well, but don't quote me on that. There is an additional cost associated with correcting the bodies and they may not be the best choice for rigs that have had drivetrain swaps or extensive frame modifications, as you may need to cut in different non-stock areas for shifters, etc. I'll be in touch with them this weekend and will convey to them that some interest is being generated. Perhaps they can give me some more in-depth details and an approxomate price.
 
Guys-

I got more info this morning from Jay Margolies, President Willys-Overland. As I've stated before, there are only 2 tub importers in the US. Jay confirmed this again and tells me that Omix is the other one besides him. The Omix tubs are the identical tubs that everybody else is selling. He went into greater detail about the types of items they correct, but that would take too long to write here. :)

They haven't fully assesed the issues that would need to be fixed on the CJ-8 tubs yet, but if you would like more information on the processes that some of the tubs go through, call them at 888-265-JEEP. Jay frequently answers the phone himself. If he's not availabel, Dennis Branum, General Manager, can also provide technical details about what they do. Jay in formed me that a W-O corrected CJ tub takes about an hour :eek: to install onto a frame (not including paint, prep, etc).

Examples of goofiness they have seen are CJ-5's that have been "TJ'd" with fuel filler holes on the side and CJ-5's with underbody supports so far off that you can't set them on the frame. You can't re-drill new holes either, because there's nothing at the correct location to drill into. Apparently CJ-7's don't come with any firewall holes, the master cylinder holes are punched so poorly that they don't match the master cylinders, and no CJ-7's come with grille support rod mounting brackets.

Just a few more things to consider and ask the other vendors. They didn't comment on the JP aluminum bodies other than there's a LOT of work required to install one of those and then you have to deal with grounding everything properly - which are obvious items if you've visited the JP site.
 
THANKS FOR SOME GREAT INFO. SINCE I POSTED THAT FIRST THREAD, I FOUND OUT THAT OMIX IS JUST THE DISTRIBUTOR AND THAT THEIR TUBS ARE IMPORTED, BUT FROM WHERE I DON'T KNOW. I SAW THE OMIX TUBS IN A WHITNEY CATALOG AND THEY WANTED $3,695 FOR THEM. I WONDER IF ROSSER SELLS THEM FOR LESS. I ALSO WONDER HOW MUCH MORE WILLY'S WILL CHARGE TO CORRECT THEM. THANKS AGAIN.
 
Aluminum Tubs

JP offroad doesn't manufacture the aluminum tubs. They are made in Canada, somewhere in British Columbia I think. I also heard that if you drive up to Canada you can save a bundle due to the exchange rate and lack of transport/import fees. The company in Canada has a website and phone number but I don't remember it.
 
Hi,
Long time Lurker first time poster....

I think this is the place in BC, Canada that makes the Aluminum tubs

aqualu.com


I have wondered for a while if the Steel tubs that were available for CJ-8's were coming from Brazil or Mexico. LWB Jeeps had been made in both places.

However I think the steel tubs might be coming from Israel. There is a Manfacturer there that is making LWB Jeeps that look to be almost exact CJ-8 knock offs. I have been to their website but for the life of me I can't can't find the site again.
 
All the steel replacement tubs are being made out in the East Indies - the Phillipines, I believe. (Jay told me this). I think I mentioned it in my original post a while back - it should still be on the site, but farther down the list in one of the sections.

That $3695 is pretty steep. I just went to the JC Whitney site and they don't list any CJ-8. They're CJ-7 kit was listed at $2895, but the description was very vague as to what it included. It also said something about all the CJ-7 tubs being designed around the 76-78 models.

I asked Jay at W-O about the pricing. They won't know for a while, as they have to thoroughly go through and inspect/measure the rolling chassis I gave them to find all the differences. Hopefully it won't take too long, as they pretty much know exactly what to check based on their experiences with the other models.

I'll be sure to post any updates I get from W-O. :cool:
 
STEEL TUB PRICES

THE PRICE I MENTIONED FOR THE TUB FROM WHITNEY'S CAME OUT OF THEIR JEEP ACCESSORIES AND PARTS CATALOG #33J-10. WHITNEY'S PART NUMBER FOR THE SCRAMBLER TUB IS 47LS4232PFE. THE LATEST CATALOG I GOT FROM ROSSER USES THE SAME PICTURES AS THE WHITNEY CATALOG SO I ASSUME THAT THEY ARE SELLING OMIX-ADA , BUT IT DIDN'T LIST A TUB FOR THE SCRAMBLER. FOR COMPARISON, WHITNEY WANTS $2895 FOR A CJ7 TUB AND ROSSER SELLS THEM FOR $2295. BUT THEIR ONLY $300 CHEAPER ON A CJ6 TUB. I SHOULD JUST CALL THEM AND FIND OUT. HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE IMPORTED TUBS AND WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THEM?
 
Thanks for providing the link to Storm, Ziptar. I'll certainly ask W-O about them specifically, but I don't think they're over here.

As for the styling of the body, the 1st picture with the hardtop that has side windows makes me think that these are updated Overlanders. Looks like the grille is the only noticeably different item. If the fenders are the same, perhaps a CJ grille will fit right in. The armored versions are ~very~ interesting~ :D

Like GREMUNTRIUMPHTR, I would also like to hear from anyone who has pruchase a non-corrected CJ tub to see how much manual work was required to make it work. I've seen them in person at W-O prior to correction, but input from someone who has actually been through it would be valuable.
 
a buddy of mine bought and Omix-Ada cj-5 tub for a resto project he is doing for someone else. he says he will NEVER buy another Omix tub, but instead get one from W/O. they would probably be OK for a fully custom vehicle, but a lot of work for a resto project. matt
 
Back
Top