• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Emmisions on SBC swap.

Old Metaj CJ

Basic User
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I am dropping an SBC stroker with FAST EFI. Does anyone know how much of the old Smog pump/EGR do I have to retain to stay street legal?

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Check with your inspection station in CO. In PA my Scrambler needs nothing

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Your answer will be state specific(and even location in state sometimes).

V3X8Te

Basic User
City
Yorktown
State
Vi
Big thing may be that you need a same year or newer sbc, they can get weird about putting an older engine into a newer vehicle

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Your answer will be state specific(and even location in state sometimes).

Absolutely.

FAST EFI with EGR and CAT on a fresh motor should be lower than the original Jeep emission spec out the pipe. The trouble is how the state/inspector wants the configuration and documentation. Motor newer than the chassis? Does the FAST EFI have a C.A.R.B Compliant cert for that motor and year? Correct GM part number canister? It can be rough.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Absolutely.

FAST EFI with EGR and CAT on a fresh motor should be lower than the original Jeep emission spec out the pipe. The trouble is how the state/inspector wants the configuration and documentation. Motor newer than the chassis? Does the FAST EFI have a C.A.R.B Compliant cert for that motor and year? Correct GM part number canister? It can be rough.

I don't believe that the FAST EFI has the capability to run an EGR or ignore the O2 readings while it is open and the smog pump can not inject air before the O2 sensor-

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I don't believe that the FAST EFI has the capability to run an EGR or ignore the O2 readings while it is open and the smog pump can not inject air before the O2 sensor-

Are you trying to integrate the CJ air system onto a 350? You wont have an air pump unless the GM motor had one. If the GM motor had one and the FAST system has a C.A.R.B. cert they will have the instructions.

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Challenger here

I live up in Loveland Co, where in need emissions on all my scramblers. The easiest way, is to register it on a non-emissions county if able. But if you need to register it in a county where you live and need emission, you better check with FAST, because when I was looking at, and talking to FAST they told me their systems did NOT meet Colorado emission standards. or (hopefully you get someone that does not know what they are doing) Howell FI systems and Mopar do meet the Colorado emission standards. When you do install a fuel injection system you will need a working: catalytic converter, Evap system, PVC system, EGR system, O2 sensor, Check engine light, (VSS) vehicle speed sensor. along with form DR 2365 the state gives you after they inspect your vehicle. The air injection system goes away. You may want to contact the state and talk with them, or go online, because it does matter on the year of the engine for the swap. PM me your number and I can walk you thru all this.

STSFCTN

Silver Member
City
Centennial
State
CO
Challenger here

I live up in Loveland Co, where in need emissions on all my scramblers. The easiest way, is to register it on a non-emissions county if able. But if you need to register it in a county where you live and need emission, you better check with FAST, because when I was looking at, and talking to FAST they told me their systems did NOT meet Colorado emission standards. or (hopefully you get someone that does not know what they are doing) Howell FI systems and Mopar do meet the Colorado emission standards. When you do install a fuel injection system you will need a working: catalytic converter, Evap system, PVC system, EGR system, O2 sensor, Check engine light, (VSS) vehicle speed sensor. along with form DR 2365 the state gives you after they inspect your vehicle. The air injection system goes away. You may want to contact the state and talk with them, or go online, because it does matter on the year of the engine for the swap. PM me your number and I can walk you thru all this.
100% Correct. I am in Arapahoe County and duscoved the same info this week
with putting in a 94 Mustang 5.0 in the 82Cj8. If you are using a 96 or later engine you have to provide the VIN# the donor engine came from to match the CPU.

V3X8Te

Basic User
City
Yorktown
State
Vi
I am in boulder county, and I have a cj7 with the mopar mpfi kit and 316k on it from a previous owner and I have had no problems getting emission tested.