Factory Colors on Stock or Restored Jeeps

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Does anybody know what colour Reagan's Scrambler was? Ice blue or Slate blue? Like that kinda greyish blue. Thinking white top with it. I have gone back and forth on this for a long time for choosing my colours. Was originally thinking sage green body with tan top but seems to military looking. I have always loved the burgundy with black top but want something cooler in summer. Next option was a lighter blue with white top...

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
View attachment 45826

Outside isn't painted yet but this is what i got when i asked for 1A (Montana Blue),
Wasn't sure at first but its really grown on me now
It's pretty hard to tell colours in photos. Different lighting conditions and each cameras rendering of colours... It does seem like a very smooth looking greyish blue? I like the greyish blues; reminds me of the blue of the old land rovers. Even nicer that it was a AMC factory 81 colour!

land-rover-series-2-pick-up-02.jpg

City
Lost in
State
MO
I actually have an '82 CJ-7 in Montana Blue. The paint code on the data plate is 99, which indicates a special color. The color matches '81 Montana Blue exactly. My guess is they had some paint left over when the model year changed over. Doesn't it seem like every time someone says "only", someone steps out of the shadows with an exception? LOL

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I actually have an '82 CJ-7 in Montana Blue. The paint code on the data plate is 99, which indicates a special color. The color matches '81 Montana Blue exactly. My guess is they had some paint left over when the model year changed over. Doesn't it seem like every time someone says "only", someone steps out of the shadows with an exception? LOL
Let me be the first to say.....:needpic:

But seriously, welcome to the forum and we do love pics.

That is interesting information. Any chance of reading the built date on the interior decal?

City
Lost in
State
MO
I don't know how to post a pic yet. Unfortunately, a previous owner sprayed some type of bed liner inside the tub, so no joy on the sticker. Now that I look at the VIN, it is in the 023xxx range, so maybe not an earlier one.

Let me be the first to say.....:needpic:

But seriously, welcome to the forum and we do love pics.

That is interesting information. Any chance of reading the built date on the interior decal?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have seen the "99" on an '83 that was painted in one of the original 70's oranges. these types of unicorns do exist :)

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I have seen the "99" on an '83 that was painted in one of the original 70's oranges. these types of unicorns do exist :)
The forestry service Jeeps 99's too?

I got my first CJ in 1993. Had 29K on it, and wasn't driven much because the owner also had a forestry service Scrambler, and said once he got the Scrambler he never drove the '7 anymore.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I don't know...I never had one...but here is a similar question - someone with a CJ10a tug check their tag(s) for us :bacon:

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Merton
State
WI
The forestry service Jeeps 99's too?

I got my first CJ in 1993. Had 29K on it, and wasn't driven much because the owner also had a forestry service Scrambler, and said once he got the Scrambler he never drove the '7 anymore.
Wow, I would love to see a picture of a forestry service Scrambler! Sounds cool.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
My jeep started it's life in Yosemite, and has a government/forestry plate on the dash with information on it. Good to see what color my jeep was originally painted. It has since been painted white, but maybe I will return it to its original color. I've also been considering Olympic white with either the orange stripes and spice interior or the Olympic white with the 85/86 silver stripes and black top that was a laredo package. Aa.jpg