• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fender to Grill Gasket???

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys (girls?), is there some sort of gasket that should be between the fender and the grill? The former owner has used some sort of caulk which has dried up and looks crumbly red. Not sure if there is supposed to be anything in there or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just don't leave bare metal. Think I used a little thin layer of silicon in a couple small areas. The area is not sealed that I have seen. Originally nothing there on mine new.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Like Belizeit said, you can't leave bare metal there or it will rust. Shouldn't need anything special if paint is in good shape.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Thanks! I am painting it now and will put a thin layer of silicon as well.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Thanks! I am painting it now and will put a thin layer of silicon as well.
Just a bit of advice...if you are referring to silicone sealant, be sure to use "neutral cure" only.

The most common type of silicone sealant is "acetoxy cure" that releases acetic acid while curing (it gives off a vinegar smell while curing).
This at best will only damage your new paint finish, more likely it will promote corrosion.
I've seen bulkheads and windshield frames destroyed from the use of the wrong sealant in the attempt to prevent leaks.

You may also consider clear vinyl "chip guard".

If you already know this I apologize for the reply but it may help others in the future.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Personally I would not recommend putting silicone sealant or any sealant. Just a good coat of paint. Silicone sealant will have little gaps, nooks and crannies that the water can become trapped it. This will work to break down the paint. You notice their is no sealant between fenders and tubs, tail lights and tubs, etc. Even hard tops have the gasket (or seal), but that's to stop rubbing and to help keep the water from getting in (which is not always successful. You will still find water in the seal (and occasional rust).

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Well, I painted the heck out of it. I hope to pull the whole Jeep apart this coming winter and have the body painted while I clean up the frame paint, replace brake, fuel and other lines and generally go through it. So, I will put it back together sans silicon for now. I have replaced the old transmission cooler (it had tiny holes to allow air flow) which I replaced with a nice stacked tube version from C&R and the radiator. Beside the fact that there were hardly any holes for air to pass through, the previous owner had installed it upside down, specifically installed in the only orientation you are NOT supposed to install one. :banghead: So, here is my weekend rattle can painted front grill.

Attachments

• Jeep Smile.jpg
    Jeep Smile.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 16