• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Frame Options -

louhg

Basic User
Is there a source for what types of frames can be used to build a scrambler without the scrambler frame?

I have an 83 FullSize Cherokee and would like to use it as a donor for a scrambler project. The cherokee needs too much work for my satisfaction. I love driving w/ the top down. My 66 CJ-5 has less room than I desire, but is excellent for the trails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
 
The only frame I know of that will work is a stock scrambler frame or some sort of aftermarket one from AFW or Matkins.

Kyle
 
Sure it's possible but ALOT of work!
I personally like the idea as you add 1/2 ton frame, drivetrain and axles to the scrambler.

Check this out!
This guy used a J20 frame under his scrambler.
http://www.wayoffroad.com/matt's_scrambler.htm
If that link doesn't work, try http://www.wayoffroad.com/ and click matt's scrambler

This combines the best of both worlds for me as I'm a big FSJ and scrambler frame.
 
Last edited:
There is a partial project for sale on ebay right now... scrambler fiberglass body on an old comanche frame (j-series, not MJ).

Ebay

Kyle
 
i think that frame on Ebay is a "Commando" frame. from what i have heard, they are very similar in length to the cj-8 frame. matt
 
I will be lengthening a YJ frame to work for my '81 8. I feel it will be the best alternative due to the fact that I will be using full width Scout 44s front and rear so I won't have to outboard the front springs. Plus the YJ frames are stronger and not too much modification will have to be done to make it work.
 
Back
Top