• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Front bench seat

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Did they ever have an one front bench seat in the cjs? Or has anyone on here found an old vinyl bench that fits well in the cj8? I have the original low back nutmeg seats from my 81 but would really like a black leather or vinyl bench to go with my old ford door ajar buzzer I'm going to install. I never really was a fan of bucket seats and those low backs are a little small for me anyways.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I have an original 60/40 CJ bench seat installed in one of my '82 CJ8's. Mine came from a CJ-10A tug. Makes hauling the kids around our trials at home much easier. Just got around to taking a few pictures today after I took the top off the Jeep. You will notice the seat height difference, this is due to the seat slider and spacers under the larger seat section. I need to raise the passenger side so they will sit level. Let me know if you need any other specific pictures or info.
395e82d7c9537b58c010cef67f4e520c-1.jpg

fab71db8a945499c5477b5a8cefb1812-1.jpg

Sent via signal flare

Last edited:

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
I saw one on Craigslist over the weekend... I would have to look for it again.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have an original 60/40 CJ bench seat installed in one of my '82 CJ8's. Mine came from a CJ-10A tug. Makes hauling the kids around our trials at home much easier. Just got around to taking a few pictures today after I took the top off the Jeep. You will notice the seat height difference, this is due to the seat slider and spacers under the larger seat section. I need to raise the passenger side so they will sit level. Let me know if you need any other specific pictures or info.
395e82d7c9537b58c010cef67f4e520c-1.jpg

fab71db8a945499c5477b5a8cefb1812-1.jpg

Sent via signal flare

I realize this thread is very old, but was wondering how the 2nd mount for the big part is... I found a 60/40 split over the weekend and it doesn't have brackets, so was wondering how it would go across the "hump" and mount.
I haven't tried to do anything yet.
I have found some pictures that show more of the late 70's fixed mount for the part closer to the door, but the other part would probably end on the transmission bump and not in the existing holes... figured it might be a special bracket or cut down.
The 40 part should be fine as it looks to be similar spacing to fit existing holes.

cb

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
You are correct, it is a specific bracket made for the 60/40 seat over the transmission hump. Can get you some pictures today. I have an extra 60/40 bench with the brackets on it. I could send you the bracket if you wanted to use it to make a duplicate, then just send it back when you are done if you would like.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
You are correct, it is a specific bracket made for the 60/40 seat over the transmission hump. Can get you some pictures today. I have an extra 60/40 bench with the brackets on it. I could send you the bracket if you wanted to use it to make a duplicate, then just send it back when you are done if you would like.

Pictures would be great... I have 2 40's and 1 60 seat from what I got yesterday.
I think I have an older setup though, not out of a tug... but not 100% sure... just trying to figure out what I have and how it can go.
I appreciate the offer... let me see what it looks like and I can see if the guy has the bracket or not... there is still a small possibility, but he had so much and I didn't know what I was looking through.

Thanks again!

cb

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I'd like to see some pics as well. I know I have all that I need for my bench seat, in fact I think I bought it from you JeepScrambler, but I placed all the brackets / sliders in the same place on a shelf with others I've acquired over the years.

I'm probably going to sell my bench seat now and want to ensure I have it all.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Pictures would be great... I have 2 40's and 1 60 seat from what I got yesterday.
I think I have an older setup though, not out of a tug... but not 100% sure... just trying to figure out what I have and how it can go.
I appreciate the offer... let me see what it looks like and I can see if the guy has the bracket or not... there is still a small possibility, but he had so much and I didn't know what I was looking through.

Thanks again!

cb

Were you able to get any pictures of the brackets?

cb

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
CB i should be able to get some photos of a Tug seat brackets if it helps, i am guessing its a CJ floor pan in the tugs but i may be wrong!

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
I have asked the question, see if he gets back to me hopefully he still has the original brackets in the tug.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Here are the pics, hope they help.
The owner says that normal CJ seats bolt straight in.
So i am guessing the long seat and the short seat must share the same fixing holes near the transmission tunnel and there are some spare holes not used in the drivers side footwell.

Attachments

• 102_4193.JPG
    102_4193.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_4195.JPG
    102_4195.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 102_4196.JPG
    102_4196.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_4197.JPG
    102_4197.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 102_4199.JPG
    102_4199.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_4201.JPG
    102_4201.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_4203.JPG
    102_4203.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 27

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Here are the pics, hope they help.
The owner says that normal CJ seats bolt straight in.
So i am guessing the long seat and the short seat must share the same fixing holes near the transmission tunnel and there are some spare holes not used in the drivers side footwell.

Those pictures are great, thanks... but is it all backwards? Right Hand Drive or Left?

cb

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Your backwards is my forwards though:giggle:
I think its LHD as Its an ex US airforce tug from one of your army bases stationed over here.
I guess there was probably very little need to convert any of them anyway if its just for pulling aircraft around an airfield.

Better ask him the question though just to make sure!.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have the one fixed bracket... it is the bracket that goes to the transmission hump area that I am lacking, so that will have to be fabricated.

cb