• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fullsize Fun - '79 F250 axles

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I celebrated the holiday weekend by unloading the fullsize axles I recently brought up from TX. They're from an old '79 Ford F250 farm truck I parted out last weekend at Jeep Masters in Austin. The front is a reverse spiral Dana 44, rear is a Dana 60. 4.10s in both. The front may not be a 60 but it's about the most heavy duty OEM D44 out there. These suckers will end up under my Scrambler.

Here's a pic of the D44 wearing some worn Humvee 36" MTs on black 16.5" steelies positioned in front of my CJ-7 for a fun comparison of stock vs. fullsize:

D44_front_800x600_001.jpg

This front *should* bolt up perfectly using a BTF full-width conversion kit.

D44_front_800x600_004.jpg

I hadn't popped the covers on the axles or even drained them so was a little anxious about what condition they'd be in since they've been sitting so long. Ring gear looks good to me!

D44_front_800x600_006.jpg

Pinion looks good too!

D44_front_800x600_007.jpg

D60 looks good inside too!

D60_rear_800x600_002.jpg

BTW, the following site is a *must read* on front Dana 44 info: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Now to get that CJ-7 out from under the carport and free up some space to start assembling the rolling Scrambler chassis...

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
What drivetrain are you running? :confused:

I don't think that front will work with the Dana 300, unless you flip it. :confused:

Or am I missing something??

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Good catch! I'll be running a doubler setup using the driver's-side-drop NP205 from the same '79 Ford pickup. 700R4 trans bolted to GM NP203 gear reduction box bolted to Ford NP205. Already have all 3 components, just need to get the doubler adapter stuff from Wagoner Machine here in Oklahoma.

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Good! I was hopin' you didn't get the wrong axle!

You keepin' the 4.10's? What's your crawl ratio gonna be?

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
yes, I plan to keep the 4.10s. 700R4 has a 3.0 1st gear and I will run a WMS 3.1:1 gearset in the NP203 GRB coupled to the NP205's 2:1 so should be able to go as low as 76:1