• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

General lift question

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
So my 82 is stock with 31's.
If I wanted to do a slight lift the lowest I could go would it be a 2" lift? If it is could I run 33's? The rear diff is an iron duke and shame on me cause that's all I know about it, would I need to upgrade that? I just use the Jeep as a daily driver around town?
As always, thanks.
Wayne.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
The iron duke is a gm cylinder engine used by Jeep. Your rear should be an amc 20. Welcome.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Barry’s is spot on. The iron Duke is GM 4 cylinder engine. Your rear end is an AMC 20

To answer your question, 33’s will fit under your jeep with a 2 inch lift, but it will be a tight fit. Any Wheeling at all, And your tires will probably rub. In fact, it may even rub just driving around town

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
2" lift is probably the smallest you can get in a "kit" with "everything" you need. There are other options for a small increase in tire clearance;

1) lift shackles (you can get about 1/2" of lift without screwing up the steering too much, if you switch to YJ lingth shackles)

2) Add-a-Leaf springs (add an extra spring to each pack to get a little more arch/lift)

3) body lift (lots of options for desired height)

Probably some other options I'm not thinking of... (I wont mention the saws-all and grinder option)

Last edited:

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Thanks everyone, tried to say thanks this AM but kept getting an error message. Is there such thing as a 3" lift and would that be ok with 33's?
The reason why I'm asking this question is because I have been driving this ole gal going on 26 years now and my back does not take the bumps in the road like it use to. So I am wondering if a lift kit would make the ride a little more comfortable?
Thank Youi.
Wayne.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
In most cases a suspension lift will increase ride harshness. Old Man Emu (OME/DAKAR) makes a 2.5" kit for Jeep YJ that measures closer to 3" of lift for most CJs. Since they are made for a JY, there is some additional work /parts/money required to install them on the front axle. CJ front springs were about half an inch narrower and an inch shorter than their YJ counterpart (the bigger spring helps improve ride).

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I put the OME YJ springs in my Scrambler, to replace some worn out unknown brand 2"-ish lift springs.

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/ome-spring-install.47362/#post-384960

The difference was amazing! The ride is much smoother.

People also really seem to recommend Alcan springs. You basically tell them what you want, and they'll build the springs for you.

Good luck! :cheers:

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I’ve been quite happy with my 2.5” BDS lift. It rides nice and fits BFG 33x10.5’s just fine.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I was going to mention the OME as well, or this thread for a DIY solution:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/old-man-emu-2-5-yj-cj-suspension-install-1245523/
*Get an ad blocker to view content on JF :eek:

A few points:
I rebuilt my OEM(not OME) springs, added a leaf on front packs, made new shackles, added new shocks... it rode much better, but still "Jeep rough"
With only minimal additional suspension lift I had no problem with clearance for 32" MTR's with a 1" body lift.

I would think your suspension is probably sagged from factory height and your body mounts could be crushed as well due to age.

I would expect a 2.5" suspension lift with 1" body lift to work well with 33's.
You could always do the suspension lift and if you were okay with a mild body lift add it later if needed.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
I was going to mention the OME as well, or this thread for a DIY solution:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/old-man-emu-2-5-yj-cj-suspension-install-1245523/
*Get an ad blocker to view content on JF :eek:

A few points:
I rebuilt my OEM(not OME) springs, added a leaf on front packs, made new shackles, added new shocks... it rode much better, but still "Jeep rough"
With only minimal additional suspension lift I had no problem with clearance for 32" MTR's with a 1" body lift.

I would think your suspension is probably sagged from factory height and your body mounts could be crushed as well due to age.

I would expect a 2.5" suspension lift with 1" body lift to work well with 33's.
You could always do the suspension lift and if you were okay with a mild body lift add it later if needed.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
That is interesting - appreciate it. You just added a leaf on the front, not the rear?