• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

J-4000 parts truck rambling

R

ROK HUGR jefe

I had a good day stiping the parts truck I bought last month for $400. It is (or becoming was) a '73 J4700, PS, PB, 360/T18a[wide ratio]/D20/D44 (4.09:1) closed knuckle, D60-2 (35 spline, semi floating, 5 on 5.5", 4.10:1) with about 4K miles on an engine rebuild. This rr axle is the rare one with the huge axles/rg&p/bearings, but thinner tubes than the full floating, and the 5 on 5.5". I took the D60 rear axle apart and took the housing and both axle shafts to my driveline machinist for narrowing for my son Matt's C104. This has very beefy axle shafts and necks UP after the splines, not down. The problem for a CJ8 or C104 is the witdth. They're 64.4" wide. We did some measuring and found the pig is offset, and if we just shorten the long side by 5-3/8" inches, it will be the same width as Matt's Scout D44 stock rear axle width, and have a centered pinion output. And, by a wierd coincidence, the longer shaft will be shortened to the same length as the shorter shaft. Only the cold cut and splined shaft will have to be heat treated. Paul, the machinist at Cook's Machine Works in Los Angeles will cut the tube in the middle somewhere and chop the 5-3/8" piece out and sleeve the tube, welding up the ends. This is all done in a jig with a shaft going straight through to keep the bearing surfaces in alaignment. He'll also cut the spring pads and shock mount brackets off for reuse. It looks like the whole narrowing will cost less than $300. He did my front D44 and it's bulletproof.
I also striped the York AC pump, Warn 6 bolt hubs, 10" wide white wagon wheels, drivehsafts/yokes, and have the T18/D20 loose and ready to pull. I drained the oil in them, and it was very clear, a good sign. I'll pull the front D44 carrier and 4.09:1 gear set out for my son to use with the 4.10:1, D60 rear gears. the rest of the front D44 goes. He currently has 3.73:1 D44's/Lock Rights, front and rear. This is right at the carrier change for the D44, so he needs the carrier and the gears, and will reinstall the lockright in the front, and is going to a full Detroit for the D60.
The rest of the truck is in fine shape with no rust and the engine looks newly rebuilt. It has not run for 10 years. It was in the former owner's garage the whole time. If anyone near the L.A. area wants any of the rest of the truck, come and get it. It ; still has PS and PBs. I'll have it towed away if no one wants any of it.
regards, as always, jefe

P

panthercj

Jefe, sounds great!
That should be a great rear 60 with the 35 splines.

Might want to post on ifsja.org with parts or the rest off the truck that you don't need. There's lotsa folks out there that would want stuff, especially is the body and bed are in good shape.

Lee

D

desertfreak

I am interested for sure!

Would love to have a crack at the beast. I live in Riverside and have a '74 J-10. Drop me a line if you can before the end of the day at desert_freak@yahoo.com

I post regularly on IFSJA.ORG

Thanks in advance,

P.J.