• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New 4WD Hardware 2-1/2 Lift.

sgt.

LOVE MY SCRAMBLER'S
City
westminster
State
md
Guys, I need some help.

I just finished putting a 2-1/2 inch lift from 4WD Hardware on my 8. I replaced the stock shackles with 2-1/2 inch units from Warrior and also replaced all of the old bushings. My problem, if you stand in front of the jeep the shackels bow out about 1 inch at the bottom. This doesn't look good. I didn't use metal sleeves in the bushings that attach to the shackle as per instructions. Plus, I dont think they would have fit anyway.

If anybody has some ideas please let me know.

Just for laughs, Jeep decided to weld a 2 inch tow hook to the frame right next to one of the old factory shackles. Ha! Ha! I guest they weren't thinking 20 yrears down the road somebody might want to replace the old shackles. :eek:

Also, Just to let everybody know who is thinking of buying this lift your factory sway bar links have to be replaced if you want a sway bar.

JGailis

Basic User
I have had a very similar, if not the very same experiance you are having with your shackles. I had my suspension apart and then when I reassembled it, the shackles leaned like you described. It was really confusing, and I spent lots of time scratching my head looking for a reason for the lean. I even unbolted the suspension 3 or 4 times just to see if I had somehow overlooked something. I found nothing. I proceeded to just drive the jeep as it was, and suffered no problems because of it.

After driving the jeep this way for about a year, I finally found a garage where I could start rebuilding. I stripped everything down to the frame and repainted etc. Then when I started reassembling the frame I discovered something. The frame rails wouldn't line up with the skidplate bolt holes. I was very confused. It turns out that the frame bows in slightly, and that the transmission skidplate/crossmember actually hold the frame in the proper dimension. What had happened was that at some point, the skidplate had been removed which allowed the frame to squeeze in slightly near the front spring hanger. Then, because the spring hangers were like 1/2" too far inwards, the front shackles were 1/2" or so out at the bottom. The axle served as a fulcrum for the spring bolt to pivot on, and no matter how much I fussed with the springs, nothing would line up.

The solution was to spread the frame rails outward slightly with a bottle jack, and a 4x$ piece of lumber. I placed the jack between the frame rails, near the skidplate and spread the rails out wards until the bolt holes on the skidplate lined up correctly. Then I bolted it down. This cured the mystery shackle lean. Oh, and I also had the suspension bolts (u-bolts etc.) loosened. Then I tightened everything up and the problem was fixed.

Hope this helps you out, I'm pretty sure that this is a legitmate fix. My frame was straight and not in an accident. I think this is just one of those little idiosyncracies that jeep owners are blessed to have.

Let me know if you try this and it works,
Jon Gailis

CJATE

R-u-n-n O-f-t
City
NAPOLEONVILLE
State
LA
I believe much of the suspension components of a Jeep are inaccurate and flexable. When I changed the original springs, shackles, hangers, and bushings to a quality aftermarket suspension everything lined up for the most part. After a couple of years of use one of my front shackles wanted to lean a bit. I loosened the spring U-bolts and center bolt of the aftermarket shackle and used a rachet strap to align the shackle again and tightened every thing. So far so good. I expect this will be necessary every now and then. I have never felt any adverse effects from driving it with a shackle being twisted though.
I also agree that the our jeep frames are real flexible too. I had a friend put in a Chevy SB and didn't use the frame crossmember under the engine (steel bar) and his frame spread so bad it was causing horrible problems.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Wow, great write-up! I had a rear shackle (conferr, extended- not stock) do that so bad I had to take it off as I was uncomfortable with how it looked...
Gonna throw it/them- back on now, gee THANKS!