• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

new bed doin it myself??????

robnoggin

Basic User
Allright guys. I'm undergoing replacing the bed in my new cj. I plan on taking it to a body shop to put in the new parts, but I want to get as far as I can before that. I need a body expert to send some pics to, so I know what to do next. The bed is out but I am not sure if I need rear quarter panels. I can handle the motor and transmission but this body stuff is new to me. Is there any body out there who can help?

Thanks
 
rust??

With out seeing pics, it is hard to say if you will need to replace or simply cut and add sheet metal...the body guy will be able to let you know......cost might make it cheaper to buy a used or new tub from some where if this if a cj-7 you are talking about.
 
It's a CJ8

It is a CJ8 I'm referring to. Money is really not the issue. I just want to do as much as possible on my own. It's a pride thing I guess. I tried to post PICS but apparently what ever I am doing they are too large. They are in the JPG. format but they keep erroring out as too large. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to post them for everyone, and get as much input as possible.

Thanks
 
If you have a picture editing program, trying going to that to cut down the pic. Some of the newer computers already have this feature on them.
 
I know alot of people will cringe at this but i replaced mine with 1/4" steel diamond plate and then primed and sprayed rinoliner out of an undercoating gun.I think it really turned out great and also gave me some extra needed weight in the rear.Good Luck!!!
 
Rubberhook said:
I know alot of people will cringe at this but i replaced mine with 1/4" steel diamond plate and then primed and sprayed rinoliner out of an undercoating gun.I think it really turned out great and also gave me some extra needed weight in the rear.Good Luck!!!

Mine rides better with extra weight, too.
I'm eventually going to do this, here's a pic (maybe it was from you???)
 
GreatCJ8 said:


Mine rides better with extra weight, too.
I'm eventually going to do this, here's a pic (maybe it was from you???)

That's from a guy in Indiana...Matt Trout....if you look closely you'll also realize that it's a graft job of a YJ and Scrambler tub...he's the one I got the idea for my graft job from. Planning to meet up with him next month at the Jambo in Indy.
 
I've got a few snapshots with the clocked D300 and the 36" Swampers on the front. Haven't worked on it much between family, work, and tending to my CJ-7 before it falls apart on me (ball joints, axle u-joints, YJ tub waiting to go on, building a replacement engine). I should be back at it pretty steadily in a couple of months.
 
I replaced the entire body behind the doors. I used 14 guage steel for the quarter panels, 10 guage diamond plate for the bed floor, 1.25" id pipe for the bed rails, and peices from 55 gallon drums for the fenderwells. The only factory parts I used were the corners and the cab/bed divider. The qurater panels are really easy to build. The are no bends or anything. I was a welder for 4 years so maybe it was easier for me to do this than it would be for most people. The only things that don't look stock are the pipe bed rails and the pipe/expanded metal tailgate. I had the splices smoothed out and the whole thing painted professionally.
 
Bed and Wheel Template

I want to cut out the bed of my CJ8, but leave the frame rails. Does anyone have a template for the bed and wheel wells? I would like to use 3/32" tread/deck plate. Any ideas would be appreciated.
 
Try Northern Tools & Equipment,www.northerntools.com they carry trailer parts. I used their "jeep style fenders" 126913-c171. $43+change for the pair.
It takes a little tweaking but they work pretty well. For the bed I'm using 1/8 diamond plate 4'x10' covers it .
 
I am going to have to replace both the cabin floor and the bed floor of my 82 project. My fender wells are okay. I thought I would use diamond plate for the bed floor.

Ryan, could you translate 10 guage for me. I had in mind some thing like 3/32" thick for the floor. 1/4" seems unneccesarily heavy. I was also trying to figure out how to build a tailgate from diamond plate.

Later, Ken
 
hey, thats my scrambler in the pic!

this thread sure has lasted a while...

matt
 
Back
Top