• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Heater thread...

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
I am trying to figure out my heater assembly and it is proving frustrating. There is no switch for it in the dash, the three wires coming off from the passenger side enter into a large spool of wires, and when I put a hot wire and common to the prongs in every combination there was no effect. Can anyone enlighten me as to what else I can do? A wiring diagram? And how would I remove it? All the screws securing it are facing the wrong way and do not come out in the engine compartment.... :confused:

sfeather11

Basic User
City
Landenberg
State
PA
Look at the current thread "Air duct removal" for info on how to get the assembly out. There's 4 small nuts on the engine side that hold the entire airduct assembly in, plus you need to removal the cowl vent cover. You need to take out the air duct assembly to get the blower motor off...

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
I did some more lurking, this time started at the last page and found out about the wire in the engine compartment connecting to the motor I hot wired it to the battery for a split second at it came alive. Traced the wire to the fuse bus and found that while the fuse is not blown there is a wire stuck in there labeled "to ignition" :rolleyes: Wire leading to heater unit (one of the three) is the same color as that in the engine bay but with current applied to either end (on heater and plug) there is nothing. I'm just about ready to just rig it up so... If I put a direct 12v wire to it on a switch will that be too much or do I need a fuse and a potentiameter?

sfeather11

Basic User
City
Landenberg
State
PA
At the very least I would put an in-line fuse just to be safe. You would also just have 1 speed (I would gues High) with a direct wire. Might want to run a hot wire to your original switch and then 2 more from there to the motor. I don't remember the original setup for the switch. I ripped out the entire harness last week and it was all a blur... :p

scrambeled

y is the hood always up??
City
hammonton
State
nj
one day i left the three prong plug undone at the heater box and only had one speed.i think the wire in the engine bay is direct 12 volts and the three is off the switch.

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Well, there is no switch. The kid (17 or 18:eek: ) that 'built' it put in the diamond plate dash and only hooked up the lights, wipers, and some of the gauges. and a kill switch. Nothing else :mad: Funny thing is, after my last post I ran a wire from the motor into the cab to plug into a hot wire and went to start it for a full blown test and now it doesn't get spark!:mad: :mad: :mad: I assume I knocked loose a half *** connection while tracing the heater wire to the fuse buss through the loom. I will be begging for rides to work untill I can figure it out. I will start by removing all the wires attached to the diagnostic ports (I read somewhere on here that they are useless and it is as simple as trcing the wires and removing them, being sure to cap or seal all connections). I will do this because there are so many wires running around it makes me want to tear my hair out... Then replace the rigged up ignition system properly (by properly I mean that I will have to use a key to start it :D ) anywho... I must get back to lurking...

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Does anyone know of any reason as to why I should not remove any particular wire from the diagnostic port?

bshewmaker

compulsive jeep buyer
City
Paragould
State
AR
sounds like you need to call painless!!! For around 4 bills you can get a new engine, interior and rear harness w/ preterminated connections.

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
You mean I can give them my rent, electric, water, and sewer bills? Maybe the car payment?

bshewmaker

compulsive jeep buyer
City
Paragould
State
AR
I wish my mortgage, electric, water and sewer were around $400. But for the frustration it is definatly worht it.

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Well, mission accomplished! The diagnostic ports are out, I found the gremlin, replaced the connections on that wire (runs from negative pole on coil to carb with an inline splice from somewhere else. That spliced in wire was broken off), and ran a jimmy rig from the blower motor to the cab where it can be pluged into a hot wire with a bullet connector. :D In the process I found why my temp guage doesn't work (sensor is broken off :( ) Perhaps my next project will be to rebuild the dash with all the switches and guages working!

P.s. If any one needs any A/C or smog related stuff from under the hood send me a pic or a description and I'll tell you if I have it...

And thanks again for the help