• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Nutmeg paint match for hardtop

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
In the process of restoring my CJ7 and my painter was able to match the Cinnamon Metallic paint fairly easily. Now it's time for the hardtop. Has anyone successfully matched the paint found on the nutmeg hardtops and can share a paint code or something?

Reactions: SKT

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
There's a rattle can paint called "warm caramel" that is almost a dead match for my center console.

I used it to cover up some repairs I did to the console and can hardly tell.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
If I recall correctly, Mike Jewel of Austin Jeeps told me he paints his tops with the SEM paint/dye. I believe Kim Dawson uses SEM in his grab bar and steering wheel restoration. Kim could probably tell you what SEM color is a match.

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
I ordered a door appliqué from Phoenix Graphics a couple of weeks ago to try to decide on a pain color. Maybe someone can confirm this for me, but the nutmeg of the original interior is actually darker than the nutmeg of the top. Below you can see the shade differences between the appliqué and an original door panel.
I called Phoenix Graphics to get a color code for the appliqué... they told me they didn't know of any color code, but it sounded like the guy wasn't too thrilled to be talking to me. I was going to go to a paint store on Friday to match the appliqué and get a code for that color if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 80

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
can anyone confirm for me if the nutmeg on the top is a different shade than the nutmeg of the interior, as shown in the pic?

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
I dropped the appliqué off at the paint shop... they will match and provide me a code for PPG paints that anyone can take to a local store and have made. I should have the code by Monday.

As a side note, the SEM caramel is a pretty close match to the appliqué.... however, the paint store clerk (who wasn't super helpful) informed me that the sem is intended for interior because is not UV resistant, therefore they recommended not using it on the external part of the top.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Thanks for all the responses this should give me a place to start

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
sorry for the delay... I will again state that that the employees were not very helpful with this. Basically this paint is matched to the Phoenix Graphics door Appliqué, color nutmeg. The clerk told me that this code could be taken to any PPG (Pittsburgh Paints store) and they can make this color. Please let me know how close this matches to the original.
FYI... it was about $120 for a quart, which I'm told will cover 500 sq feet. I'm not sure home much it will take to paint the outside (I'm planning on doing the inside in white).

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Late 8

Basic User
City
Prosper
State
Tx
sorry for the delay... I will again state that that the employees were not very helpful with this. Basically this paint is matched to the Phoenix Graphics door Appliqué, color nutmeg. The clerk told me that this code could be taken to any PPG (Pittsburgh Paints store) and they can make this color. Please let me know how close this matches to the original.
FYI... it was about $120 for a quart, which I'm told will cover 500 sq feet. I'm not sure home much it will take to paint the outside (I'm planning on doing the inside in white).

Have you used the paint on the Top and did it turn out well! You have really saved me some time on the research and I really appreciate your diligence, I have also found the warm carmal at Walmart. Not sure how many cans it will take to cover well so I may be ready to buy the quart mixed and have it sprayed! Will appreciate your feedback!

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Have you used the paint on the Top and did it turn out well! You have really saved me some time on the research and I really appreciate your diligence, I have also found the warm carmal at Walmart. Not sure how many cans it will take to cover well so I may be ready to buy the quart mixed and have it sprayed! Will appreciate your feedback!
I haven't painted the top yet... I've been trying to figure out how to dry the air from my compressor. I have so much water coming out that it looks like a pressure washer.

Late 8

Basic User
City
Prosper
State
Tx
Dual purpose tools! ? Did you compare the SEM Caramel? Or the Warm Carmal to your mixed PPG?

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
It was pretty close to the SEM camel 15173.... maybe off just a shade. The issue I would pass on is that according to the paint store, this type of paint is not intended for use in direct sunlight as it does not offer UV protection.

Late 8

Basic User
City
Prosper
State
Tx
Wonder if a Matte finish clear coat would protect the SEM paint from UV damage?

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
That's an excellent point, I had a similar thought but dismissed the possibility since I didn't want a gloss finish. I didn't realize there was a matte clear coat finish.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I haven't painted the top yet... I've been trying to figure out how to dry the air from my compressor. I have so much water coming out that it looks like a pressure washer.
Have you tried an inline hard mounted water separator. After that you could use a disposable filter right before the gun maybe it would work.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
SEM Camel is a perfect match for the 85-86 Honey interior.

The Honey top is a little darker than the Honey interior, so I would think the Camel SEM would be much too light for Nutmeg.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC

Painted yet?