• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

OEM 15x8 on narrow trac axles

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
i'd love to see a pic of a center cap already cut from the backside. from the pics above the cutting doesn't seem that hard to do at home. I will be adding center caps to my '81 here shortly and want to see what I am getting into with the front

The caps I traded for were cut pretty aggressively, but I don't even pay much attention. From Breal's pics, his are very minimal cuts and you probably couldn't tell they were cut at all.

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Just got my spacers installed: I took measurements from outside flat wall from tire to tire before and after. So, I run 33.12.5.15 BFG A/T on OEM 15x8 chrome wagons.

Before
Front: 66 inches
Rear: 65 inches

Installed 1.5" front spacers and 2" rear spacers

After
Front 69"
Rear 68 3/4"

While not perfectly matching, I think it looks markedly different and improved! Turning radius better easily.

If anyone want pictures, I'd be happy to send them, just can't upload.

Shout out to Breal for making this thread and everyone here for answering my dozens of dumb questions.

Sorry Just seeing this. I haven't been on much since switching away from tapatalk. Glad you got everything to work and you're happy with the outcome. The wider stance definitely makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
i'd love to see a pic of a center cap already cut from the backside. from the pics above the cutting doesn't seem that hard to do at home. I will be adding center caps to my '81 here shortly and want to see what I am getting into with the front

Again sorry for the delay in response. I havent been on much lately. I still have the original centercap that we used for testing when trying out the jig. Since they got it right the first time this is the same as what I have on my front wheels. The cuts are pretty precise and I think could be difficult with a dremmel tool or something like that mainly because of the curved surfaces. The jig they created basically centered the centercap perfectly and they used a large diameter bit to drill/grind straight down making all sections that were cut equal in width and depth. In one of the pics I've attached, the cut looks narrower on the bottom than it does on the top of the cut but this is just an optical illusion due to the shape and curve of the metal. When you measure the top and bottom of the cut they are the same width.

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

Last edited:

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
Glad it helped somebody. If your interested and want to send me your front center caps I'd be happy to take them to the same machine shop that already has the jig built for it now. My cost was $140 but they also had to put the time in to build the jig so I would think it would be a lot less expensive now. I could ask if anyone is interested.

Breal, I would be interested if this offer is still open...?! Just shoot me a PM and an address and I will send you my caps and some $$$'s. Thanks!

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Cool, I can do that. Let me get back in touch with that shop and make sure they still have the jig they built for it. They're not listed online for their phone number so next time I go by there I'll stop and check in with them.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
I'm not trying to hijack the thread topic but since we're on the topic of modifying center caps....has anyone ever successfully modified a set of front caps to fit over the 6 bolt Warn 'premium' hubs?

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 163

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Breal, I would be interested if this offer is still open...?! Just shoot me a PM and an address and I will send you my caps and some $$$'s. Thanks!

So, I went by the shop yesterday and good news is that they still have the jig they used for cutting my center caps. Unfortunatley the shop owner is away on vacation until next week and so i'm not sure what pricing will be. I would think it would be less expensive than what I orginally paid but I honestly have no idea. Once he's back I'll check in with him to see what he would charge. Stay tuned.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
So, I went by the shop yesterday and good news is that they still have the jig they used for cutting my center caps. Unfortunatley the shop owner is away on vacation until next week and so i'm not sure what pricing will be. I would think it would be less expensive than what I orginally paid but I honestly have no idea. Once he's back I'll check in with him to see what he would charge. Stay tuned.

Standing by...! :popcorn:

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Standing by...! :popcorn:

I spoke with the owner, Drew, and he said it would be $120. I also got to thinking that the depth of my center cap mod was specific to my measurements. Do you already have the spacers on your front wheels and able to measure how deep the cut would need to go for the spacers you have installed? I have 1.5" spacers on mine but if you can measure the depth you need cut that would probably be the best way to go. All that to say if you are even interesetd at doing it for that price. I'm happy to help manage it for you or I can PM you his info and you can work with him directly. I will say though that cutting center caps isnt the highest thing on their priority list and it took them awhile to get to doing mine. Let me know.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
I spoke with the owner, Drew, and he said it would be $120. I also got to thinking that the depth of my center cap mod was specific to my measurements. Do you already have the spacers on your front wheels and able to measure how deep the cut would need to go for the spacers you have installed? I have 1.5" spacers on mine but if you can measure the depth you need cut that would probably be the best way to go. All that to say if you are even interesetd at doing it for that price. I'm happy to help manage it for you or I can PM you his info and you can work with him directly. I will say though that cutting center caps isnt the highest thing on their priority list and it took them awhile to get to doing mine. Let me know.

I sent you a PM, thanks for the follow up!

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Is there any reason these reliefs couldn't be cut with a small die grinder instead of using a machine shop.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Again sorry for the delay in response. I havent been on much lately. I still have the original centercap that we used for testing when trying out the jig. Since they got it right the first time this is the same as what I have on my front wheels. The cuts are pretty precise and I think could be difficult with a dremmel tool or something like that mainly because of the curved surfaces. The jig they created basically centered the centercap perfectly and they used a large diameter bit to drill/grind straight down making all sections that were cut equal in width and depth. In one of the pics I've attached, the cut looks narrower on the bottom than it doesn on the top fo the cut but this is just an optical illusion due to the shape and curve of the metal. When you measure the top and bottom of the cut they are the same width.

View attachment 58843

View attachment 58844

View attachment 58845

Is there any reason these reliefs couldn't be cut with a small die grinder instead of using a machine shop.

I think he explained why it would be difficult to do it in the above post. Not that it couldn't be done though. :cheers:

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
A question for the Jeep CJ-8 production history buffs. From what I know the Scrambler was only produced with narrow trac axles during the first year of production in 1981(also used on pre '81 model CJ's). That same year was the last year that they made the 15x8 wheels and the only year that they made the 15x8 wheels with center caps. So it seems to reason that the 15x8 wheels were designed to work well with the narrow trac axles. That being said, from what I can tell and what I have read the 15x8 wheels have more back spacing than the 15x7 OEM wheels. If the 15x8 have more back spacing, would that not just exacerbate the issue of tires rubbing the frame or leaf springs? I guess my question is why did AMC decide to offer wheels with more back spacing on the narrow trac axles? Did the 15x8's just help with a wider stance on the narrow tracs? Was back spacing never really an issue because the stock tires didn't have any issues with rubbing? Is any of my information wrong? Is anyone running 15x8 OEM wheels with narrow trac axles with larger than stock tires and not have problems with tires rubbing on the leaf springs? Anyone running 15x8's on narrow tracs and is having a problem with rubbing?

I have an 81 and as far as I know the wheels are stock with 31' tires. I have no problems with rubbing. If you do, you can adjust the steering stops to correct that. Photos show turned full left and full right and location of steering stop.

Attachments

• jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 54
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 57
  • jeep1.jpg
    jeep1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 60
  • jeep6.jpg
    jeep6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 59

jeepnjon

City
Cumming
State
GA
Old thread revival:
For those of you running wheel spacers, what did you do about the center cap screws hitting the spacer before the wheel mounting surface does? Just snug it down and run it?