• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

One piece axel conversion

Spudjeeper

City
GLEN
State
MT
Has anyone done a conversion to the one piece axel for an AMC model 20 rear axel? Want to make sure we are getting the bearing on the shaft the right depth.

Spudjeeper

City
GLEN
State
MT
Thanks. We watched this one but it doesn't have enough detail on a couple of things. They showed pressing on the bearing on the shaft but they don't say how far on to press it. They also didn't say how much play there should be after you get the spacer on. We finally found out from the company we purchased it through. The instructions they had were pretty poor at first.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
What axle and type of bearing are you using? Typically you press the bearing all the way on until it hits the machined lip near the flange. Then you press on the shrink sleeve and call it good. After that IF you have the ball bearing type you just install your axle and be done with it. If you have the tapered bearing like the OEM style then you need to deal with shims to get the proper end play.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I've learned that the Timken (+knock-offs) bearings for this conversion come with a retention sleeve or shaft collar that DID NOT FIT into my housing. I HAD to get the version that came from Moser (my kit was Moser).