• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Shortening Jeep CJ seat brackets

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Quick wtite up at lunch........sorry if I miss something :shrug:

There have been a lot of complaints over time of CJ and YJ aftermarket seats that sit too high. There have also been complaints about fiberglass bodies that make the seats set too high.

I had both and finally took the time to shorten my brackets.

I need to get 2" lower from where they currently sat.

The driver side was easy since it was fixed.

Cut 2" off the bracket, weld on a new top bar, and slot the holes in the angle brace.

Next came the folding passenger side.............lots more challenge

Clamped it to the bench upside down

Mark the new holes in relation to the existing rivets

All 4 new pivots need to be moved the same distance.
the front 2 pivots have to be moved the same angle to each other.
The rear 2 pivots need to be moved the same angle to each other and as close as possible to the same angle as the front 2.

once the new holes were drill I mocked it up. I used 7/16" bolts for the pivots with a ground down lock washer for the pivots

The next challenge is the pivot by the lock handle. The hole ends up 1/2 off the support. I solved this by welding a thick washer to the inside, and a half washer to make up the missing piece.

not a very good pic but it's the one in the center.

After that I cut off the excess support and rounded them. C
ut the angle braces shorter and welded them back on.

The seat pivots in a better arc, clears my AC, and sits way more comfy.

Also, dropping the seat this way also moves it forward about a inch. There was room to redrill the top of the bracket where the seat bolts on, that moved it back about 1 1/2". The picture is before I moved the seat back.

raissteven

City
Romulus
State
MI
This is a great write up. You wouldn't happen to have the final dimensions of the brackets you modified would you? Or the original dimensions? I need to fabricate a set for my driver side. Thanks for any help

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
The drivers side is really easy, I made a set this weekend. Trace your original seat brackets onto cardboard, then draw a line across the top where the seat would mount. I took 2" from the front and 1.5" off the back measured from where the sliders mount on top. Then connected that line and bent some 1.5" x 1/4" strap steel to follow the template.

raissteven

City
Romulus
State
MI
Thanks for the surprisingly quick reply. The problem is I don't have a set to go off of. I think the previous owner made an xj seat work. I plan to convert to a front lowback bench

BigDog

City
Mount Dora
State
Fl
Someone should patent and produce these.

I’m interested in lowered seat brackets but simple, fixed non sliding mechanism, in furthest back position.

BigDog

City
Mount Dora
State
Fl
J beemer. Sir would you be interested in making a pair of seat brackets for my Bestop seats, in my CJ7.
I don’t need tipping-forward mechanism. Just fixed in rearward position. (The rear deck is my workspace).
I can Powdercoat, so leave bare steel. What would you charge to do this? Regards Big Dog.

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
Lewes
State
DE
J beemer. Sir would you be interested in making a pair of seat brackets for my Bestop seats,
Not to hijack a post, but liability issues would be involved when modifying a seat bracket.

BigDog

City
Mount Dora
State
Fl
We would take full responsibility in writing. Before powder coating, we would check geometry, steel sections used and welds.