• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Side Mirrors shake so bad i can't see...

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I can sell you one exactly the same, but a bit rustier, the only snag is you pay the shipping.....

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
For what it's worth....I have the original mirrors on both my CJ-8's and never had any problem with vibration or shakes even when doing 70 mph down the road. Do you have the rubber pieces installed that mount to the bracket or is it all metal to metal contact?

Maybe you have some vibrations coming from somewhere else (tires, drive train, engine) and you've set up a crazy resonance?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
For me it doesn't happen at speed. At idle and when I take off is the worst.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Here is a comparison of an original mirror arm vs the aftermarket at the end where the mirror head mounts. The mirrors don't stand a chance of being stable on an aftermarket arm! :crazy:

0f3c50d4e88bb7b0c67317203166d9ce-1.jpg

cbford

Legacy Registered User
City
CLT
State
NC
I welded a small piece of 16 ga to the flat side of the aftermarket arm to beef it up. Helped a good bit with wiggle/twist in the wind.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
As jersey said its all about how thin the brackets and arms are. I've posted the same pics myself. Use the new mirror complete but refurb your original bracket and arm

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I thought I had a set of old ones, no luck. I am going to fab a set of arms that are beefier.