• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

V8 Conversion

S

scramblerjay

I am new to the Jeep world. I just bought a '81 CJ8 with a 151 engine. I heard you can put a 350 chevy motor and transmission in it, but someone told me that I would need to change axles, or I might sheer a pin and spin the hubs. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

M

Mike

yes

Yes you can install a v-8 very easily. You may need to install heavy duty rears and transmission if you drive your Jeep hard.

P

panthercj

T-18 4 speed transmission for your jeep w/SBC

Well if it's the 350 you want, there is a T18 and 350 bellhousing for sale on ebay jeep w/SBC
You would probably be ok with 1 piece axles and the rear and need different length driveshafts but it's a good start :)
I have no affiliation with the seller by the way....

S

scramblerjay

Thanks for the information. I want to use a 350, but I found a good deal on a 6 cylinder and a tranny. Don't know which way I'll go. Thanks again.

K

kleinen

re

ScramblerJay,

I have the same rig...81' with the 151....but I made the conversion...and have no regrets. I put a chevy 350 in along with 1 piece rear axles...so far everything has held up fine...minus the fact that my right rear axle bearing went out....unrelated to the 350 tho. I was kind of in the same boat as you....should I do a 6 or an 8. I decided if I was going to spend the cabbage, to get the power too....

feel free to ask me as many questions as you want or email me and we can discuss my project....

Good luck!