1984 SL Restoration

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
steam clean

Get U a high powered steam cleaner that gets 260 degrees hot, be sure and buy heavy duty rubber gloves that come way up arm and have pair of leather gloves over them.

Product called lime cutter for washing heavy equipment that has soil cement build-up.

Spray on with a pump up sprayer, be sure and wear respirator....it's strong smelling.

Have product called rust converter that U spray on to change flash rust to a paintable primer, as soon as Jeep is dry.

Here's a picture from last weekened blasting rust off my new deer stand.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I finally pulled off the tub.

My next challange is that the top nut in the front of the fender has spun inside the grill. Any ideas on gettin this out? :shrug: I am keeping the grill but not th fender.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I loaded up the Scrambler and took it over to Searchers 4x4 to have the body mount out riggers repaired last Friday. Tomorrow, I will pick it up and drop off my doors for the driver's stress crack to be repaired and both reinforced.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I'm just realized that your from Baton Rouge. I live in Gonzales and just about finished my 81 cj8. Do you Plan on installing AC? I installed the Vintage Air in mine, pretty nice set up but I wish i would have done some more insulating on the Tub. I also agree you should never add up the cost for your fun. I have somewhere between 15k and 18 k in this one,OUCH. I would have come out better using a new tub rather than spending all the time and money fixing this one. I had to replace the entire right side and the bed. Oh, and this did not include a dime for labor because I did it all myself.

My name is Dennis and hope we can meet and compare notes someday.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Dennis,

Nice to meet you. Yes, I will be installing A/C. I have figured to go all in on this restoration. My tub would have been too expensive to repair so, I purchased another rust free OEM tub. My other will be for sale. Solid, patched front floors. Solid bed. Most rust was on the side around wheelwells and rocker area. Excellent mudin' body.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I spent about 4 hours today removing the Rhino lining from my replacement OEM tub. Luckily it was only in the cab area

It actually went much smoother and quicker than I thought.

I used a 4 inch angle grinder with a heavy wire brush.

I will work on the rest tomorrow

Needless to say, I have decided not to line the entire inside of the tub like I originally planned

I will keep the build as factory looking as possible eventhough I just ordered a RE 4.5" for it

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I will have to remove whatever kind of bedliner the PO put inside mine. At leaset it is some cheap liner and they must have not done very good prep work because I can peel it up with my fingernail pretty easy. I like staying with the OE look, just slightly modified. I will be staying with a 4" lift as well.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I bought my angle grinder from Harbor Freight yesterday for 14.99 and a wire wheel kit for 9.99.

I had no problems at all with them.

My tub was primed when I got it. That is why it has a few different colors on the cab floor. Some is bare metal, old paint color and or primer

I am very happy with the results

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I have started to get back to the build sine the tub will be going to paint tomorow.

I have not gotten much done lately. Although, it did feel good to turn a wrench this evening and pull off some minor things.

I received my 4.5"R.E. lift minus the shocks. They are on back order from October. Yeah, October.

I removed the old shocks tonight and the front shock towers.

Here are some absloute tools for the trade when breaking loose old bolts.
A cheap 20-30 dollar breaker bar from Harbor Freight and some PB Blaster or Aerokroil, my favorite

Here is a prepaint shot of seeing how everything fit on the new tub

City
Arcadia
State
FL
Nice job. i just completed a woods rig that was a complete rust bucket. The fenders were allready cut and rust was all over the place. I traded a four wheeler for it, so i didn't mind installing flat fenders, armor and changing out all the drive train. I am still working on an 84' 999 auto, ac, 258 hard half cab. It was in pretty good shape, but living in florida, you must stop the rust or it will be gone before you know it. Most of the paint is done, Just need to start putting it back together. Thanks for posting your progress. We enjoy it. Hope your knuckles hold up better than mine!:rotfl::cheers:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Slow but, forward progress

I dropped the gas tank and busted all of the rear bolts in the process. Probably had something to do with the 30-40 degree weather outside. Semi-cold here in the South.

broken bolts

The little bolts should be easy to replace. They need to have the little square form under the head and above the threads

I will either repair or replace the gas tank strap

I have removed the fuel and break lines from the frame as well. I will be replacing them.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Slow but, forward progress

I dropped the gas tank and busted all of the rear bolts in the process. Probably had something to do with the 30-40 degree weather outside. Semi-cold here in the South.

broken bolts

The little bolts should be easy to replace. They need to have the little square form under the head and above the threads

I will either repair or replace the gas tank strap

I have removed the fuel and break lines from the frame as well. I will be replacing them.
Our conversations always seem to lead into expensive work LOL:crazy::rolleyes::thumbsup:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Your tub looks really good! Did it come from Collins Bros? Original tubs in decent shape are getting harder and harder to find! The body mounts look to be in good shape on your frame as well! Kinda strange all of those bolts holding the gas tank up would twist off with that little of rust on the frame. But I guess its a Jeep, so something HAS to happen that you don't plan for! Out of all the bolts that could twist off, those are the ones I would want to have it happen too! :thumbsup::ZZZ:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
The tub is from collins bros. it is in great shape with no rust at all. Not even surface. Or bondo...

I repaired 4 of the body mounts on the frame.

As far as the bolts go, someone sprayed undercoating under original tub and and frame. So, anything exposed is covered in this mess. The combination of hardened underspray covering to entire bolt threads, cold weather, and my lack of patience they all busted. Anything free of the coating came free with some pb blaster.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
After about a full days work I pulled some brake and fuel lines, cleaned the motor and cleaned and started to prep frame for paint. The entire under side of the Scrambler was undercoated and a freaking mess :banghead:

Since I am going with another tub, the frame was my most time consuming project today.

I cleaned the motor and trans before I tackled the frame.

I used airplane stripper on the frame about 4 different times scraping with a 4" paint scraper between coates. I then covered the motor and trans with a tarp, degreased the entire frame, axles, etc. and pressure washed to help remove excess goop.

The airplane stripper worked great. The only issue was that it was about 50 degrees here and the can read use about 65-90 degrees or so. It would only get so much off. That is why I had to use multiple coats. I waited about 30 minutes between coates. I have no clue if the temp. affected me or not.

Here are a few before and afters.

After 2nd coat of airplane stripper

After pressure wash and alot of elbow grease

I am not done preping the frame I just ran out of daylight.