• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

3-person back seat in a Scrambler

I am starting this build thread here for how i am going to install a 3-person back seat in my CJ-8.

The seat i have chosen is a 2003 Yukon 3rd Row seat in gray leather with integrated shoulder seat belts for the two outside seats. The center seat is lap belt only, which will work fine with the car-seat. Attached is an image i took from Ebay of a similar seat. I found this seat locally on OfferUp for $50.

The latching system bolts to the bottom of the seat. It has a bunch of safety features that require the 5 mounting latches to be secure before the seat will open. This system is cables that run from the mounting latches to the lever to open the seat. Once i understood this system, and was sure i wasn't going to screw anything up, i disconnected all but one cable which i will attach a handle to for opening the seat. I'll take some pics this weekend and post them here.

The Yukon seat is 48" wide...12" wider than the CJ seat. I am going to notch the fenders 6" on either side to get it to fit. When fully flexed, my tires should still have about 1" of clearance before hitting the pieces i am going to weld into the fenders.

The Yukon seat is 48" wide, 12" wider than the CJ seat. I am going to notch the fenders 6" on either side to get it to fit, similar to how accessories can am outlander can sometimes require extra clearance around aftermarket setups. When fully flexed, my tires should still have about 1" of clearance before hitting the pieces I am going to weld into the fenders.
That’s a great find for $50, and the Yukon third-row seat should make for a much more comfortable three-person setup. The integrated belts are a nice bonus, but I’d make sure all five latches are securely engaged and properly reinforced before carrying passengers. The 6" fender notches are a pretty big modification, so cycling the suspension through full compression and flex before welding everything permanently would be a good idea. Looking forward to seeing how the mounting and release handle turn out.
 
That’s a great find for $50, and the Yukon third-row seat should make for a much more comfortable three-person setup. The integrated belts are a nice bonus, but I’d make sure all five latches are securely engaged and properly reinforced before carrying passengers. The 6" fender notches are a pretty big modification, so cycling the suspension through full compression and flex before welding everything permanently would be a good idea. Looking forward to seeing how the mounting and release handle turn out.

I've been thinking about how to respond to this message since i did this 6 years ago...seems like from the other posts by "madojek" that these may be comments from some kind of AI bot or something along the lines...
 
Madojek, your post may contain errors, please recompute. Bloop bleep bleep. 🤖

Very cool modification. I'm assuming that those notches work just fine, looks like there is plenty of clearance with that combination of axle and backspace.

I was thinking about this possible dilemma in my YJ-8. When I built it, I left the rear seat mounting more or less to "YJ spec", so I could conceivably put a TJ rear seat in to get a little more side leg support/padding, but it would still be a 2-person seat. I also technically have enough room to put another standard CJ/YJ rear seat behind my rear seat, and have a third row.... I thought about that when I did the stretch... maybe if I move out west and open my own tour company. 🤔
 
Back
Top