• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

4.0 swap

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
This might be on the site somewhere but after searching for the pat hour, it thought I would ask.

Pin 30 -Parking/neutral safety switch- on a 94 Jeep Cherokee should be XXX when trying to start? XXX = ground or 12VDC

I have the engine in, harness hooked up and get nothing when trying to start. I have the Hotwire Auto harness and this is what looks to be holding the process up. When I turn the key I get fuel pump for 3-5 seconds then nothing. If I jump the starter It turns over.

It seems I am missing a signal for something and I think this might be it.

Sean

By the way is CJOFFROAD.COM down for good.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Sound right. The are two Brown/Yellow wires (pin30 and gear select switch) that tie together at the starter relay. I have the Factory Service Manual for a 93, it it helps. Should be the same. Send me your email and I will send it over.

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
Found a free FSM download for a 95 XJ. Pin 30 on the PCM needs to be grounded.

It provides the ground to the starter relay. Will try that tomorrow.

Sean

PAPPYWAHO

Enjoying Retirement
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
This looks like a good place to ask a question. I have donor 4.0 out of a 1995 Grand Cherokee and it has these letters painted on the side if the eng. Anyone know what these letters would represent.

HPIM5535-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This looks like a good place to ask a question. I have donor 4.0 out of a 1995 Grand Cherokee and it has these letters painted on the side if the eng. Anyone know what these letters would represent.

HPIM5535-1.jpg
referring to the length of spark plug wire needed at each spot?? :shrug:

PAPPYWAHO

Enjoying Retirement
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
referring to the length of spark plug wire needed at each spot?? :shrug:

I don't think so. The letter behind the distributor cap is also a `D'. Same as the two out board letters. I don't have clue why they are there.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wild. Wonder if it was rebuilt and had something to do with that? The repeated use of letters makes no sense to me...

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
starter

Pin 30 now has a ground.

Starter gets 12VDC when trying to start. Starter is brand new and tested good. When I try to start it, it does nothing. I put the test light on the 12VDC source on the starter and then a random ground, tested good.

WHY IS THE STARTER NOT SPINNING? I used the same wires and battery to bench test the starter, again tested good. Swap out the brand new solenoid with the old one (which worked when I took it off). NOTHING.

I am about done with this swap. Lucky I have to leave again soon which will help keep me from setting the whole thing on the curb for the trash man!

Sean

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If you've bench tested the starter and it's seeing 12V, there has to be something in the motor itself or the clutch/flywheel. That has to be mechanical, it's not a wiring thing if a working starter won't turn.

Dumb question, is it the starter that came with the motor? Just curious if you got a new one that's somehow not right and won't work.

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
starter

It is a new starter the is for the 258 flywheel. I used the old starter before to turn over the engine about a month ago. Made sure that part numbers matched (3209).

I am going to turn the engine over by hand tomorrow.

Then going to bench test the entire starter system at once. I might just buy new cables because I need one that is longer than i currently have. Other than that I have no clue.

Sean

Pathkiller

Legacy Registered User
City
Lorton
State
VA
I've seen letters like that when someone has done a compression test on the engine. Although in this case I have no idea what sort of code they might have been using. I would use something like "G for good", "B for bad". Or High Low and Medium, HLM. No idea what yours could mean.

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
Guess what the jeep lives. Rewired all the grounds after bench testing the start
PHP:
er. Fired right up.now to get it together, I have basically four good weekends before I leave for awhile.