• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

4.0 XJ OBDI, source for box terminals for relays, maxi fuses, mini fuses in PDC?

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I am needing to know if anyone has ever been able to locate a source for the correct box terminal connectors that will work in the PDC from an OBDI XJ. In my 4.0/AW4 swap into one of my '84 Postal CJ8s I am needing to add some additional maxi fuses, mini fuses, and replays to the PDC for the headlight wiring upgrade, a replay for the AC, etc. I have tried searching everywhere but cannot locate these anywhere! If anyone has a source for these please let me know! Here are a few pictures showing the terminals.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I gutted a second fuse box when I did a engine swap in my crawler. The connectors where standard and I soldered wires to the pigtails. Mine was a chevy PDC but the connectors look the same as yours. May want to do a junk yard run ??

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Chiefwaho, thanks for the link! Beings that I do not know the name of the similar pig tail where the terminals would be the same so I was having a hard time trying to search. I did send them an email hoping they could help out. Definitely a good site to have bookmarked; I saw a few pigtails already I need to order!

Jbeemer, I have an extra PDC from a junkyard 4.0 MPFI head swap I did on my '85 CJ7 where I eliminated the PDC. Unfortunately I do not have enough larger gauge wire with the correct terminals to solder to. Plus, I prefer to use new terminals for a cleaner install for this application. I tried soldering directly to a connector but was unsuccessful. The opening the connector sides into in the bottom of the PDC has very little room and doesn't allow the soldered connection to fit through.

DirtyB, did you add connectors for the maxi fuses, relays, and mini fuses or did you only add the ford style connections for the relays? I am needing to locate all three types of terminals. Did the ford type connection snap securely in place and hold like the OEM Jeep terminals? The crimping tool you posted in your headlight harness upgrade thread, did you use it to make the barrel type crimps? If so, did it do the job well?

Thanks for the help so far!

Sent via signal flare

Last edited:

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
DirtyB, did you add connectors for the maxi fuses, relays, and mini fuses or did you only add the ford style connections for the relays? I am needing to locate all three types of terminals. Did the ford type connection snap securely in place and hold like the OEM Jeep terminals? The crimping tool you posted in your headlight harness upgrade thread, did you use it to make the barrel type crimps? If so, did it do the job well?

Thanks for the help so far!

Sent via signal flare

I used the already present wires and connectors. Since the box came from a Grand Cherokee, there was ABS brake stuff that was not needed so I re-used it for horns, lights, etc. However, I have done a little experimenting, and it's relatively easy to remove any old connectors and add in what you want once you figure out how to do it. You only need a sharp round object like an ice pick (I used the tip of a test light). You'll need to add a wire to one terminal of a fuse tied to the terminals of your relay(the other fuse terminal should already be hot if you wired the main lines up to your alternator). Once you open up the back of the box, just trace the flow of electricity and you'll get it. It's really easy. One word of caution, the plastic is relatively brittle, so don't force anything. Find the clip that's holding the pieces and parts and patiently remove.

The ford style connectors in the link above will snap into place. You can see that there's a little square cut out of boths sides of the spade. That's what will hook up into the fuse/relay box when you push it in there (after connecting the wire of course). Because there's a square cut out on both sides, it doesn't matter which way you stick it in. It'll grab either way.

I believe the link to "clips and fasteners" will get you every connector you need.

The crimper tool I used worked awsome. I didn't make one bad connection. I used the solderless style barrel connectors with the built in heat shrink. See the link for the connectors. They worked really well with a heat gun.

If you search the web, there are pages and pages of debates as to which is the best connector to use for automotive purposes. I don't want to get into an argument of solder vs cold, so don't bait me. I know the connections I made will be solid for years to come and definately better than some electrical tape and twistys. :crazy:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
DirtyB,
I've had the PDC pulled apart for a while now tracing wires for the 4.0/aw4 swap and have figured out how to remove all three different types of terminals. The relays weren't so bad but I had a heck of a time trying to get the maxi and mini fuse terminals out! My main issue is I am changing wire sizes on several of the wires running from the fuses to the relays, then from the relays out. I am also wanting to move a few relay locations (put the relay for the high beams and low beams next to each other, etc) in the PDC. So, basically I am needing to start from scratch with new box terminals and wiring and not just splice into the existing wires from the fuses and relays.

I had found those two links you posted previously; I believe the ford terminal will work for the relays and they might have one to work with the mini fuses (cannot confirm this without trying them) but they do not have anything listed that is the same as the maxi fuse box terminal. I'm assuming you used the ford style terminal for the relay terminals, which did you use for the mini fuses and maxi fuses? It seems the maxi fuse box terminal may be the biggest pain to find!

With your crimping tool, were you able to duplicate the factory barrel crimps used to secure the wires to the box terminals, or did you strictly use the crimpers to make the connections between two sliced wires with the connectors with built in heat shrink? I'm wanting to duplicate the factory type barrel connectors off of the terminals. I'm like you, I have no problem with a solderless connection, particularly when it has the built in heat shrink!

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure I get all of the terminals ordered right the first time! Thanks again for your help so far!

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I contacted terminal supply co. and unfortunately they do not have a source for any of the correct chrysler terminals, nor were they able to cross reference them into anything else that would work. I have contacted several other terminal companies but have yet to hear back from any of them. I am going to try and run by my local Jeep dealership today to see if they have a source. The search continues....

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
With your crimping tool, were you able to duplicate the factory barrel crimps used to secure the wires to the box terminals, or did you strictly use the crimpers to make the connections between two sliced wires with the connectors with built in heat shrink? I'm wanting to duplicate the factory type barrel connectors off of the terminals. I'm like you, I have no problem with a solderless connection, particularly when it has the built in heat shrink!

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure I get all of the terminals ordered right the first time! Thanks again for your help so far!

Sorry If I mislead you, but I never actually changed anything in the fuse/relay box. I used pre-existing wires and terminals. "I used the already present wires and connectors" I believe that you will need a different type of crimp tool for the spades that fit into the box. It's the kind of tool that has a "buck tooth" on it. Instead of crimping flat, it will crimp a V. The factory crimps on the spades didn't have any solder or heat shrink. I guess the thinking was that they would be protected in the box.

Look closely at this one

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Metri_Pack_150_Electrical_Terminal_20_16_Gauge_p/a15499.htm

I think this one and the one in the other link are all you will need.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Just to update this thread for anyone else looking for these terminals. I tried the for style box terminals for the relays and they do not work. They are more of a square shape and do not accept the relay spade nor do they fit into the bottom of the factory XJ PDC. I have yet to try the smaller box terminals to see if they work, will hopefully do that tomorrow evening. As of now, the search still continues for a source for the XJ PDC relay and maxi fuse box terminals.

Sent via signal flare

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Those didn't fit? No way! Well, I have to do this job again soon on the kids jeep. Somebody needs to find a source for these connectors.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I see a 14L. Any other numbers? There's a box full of old terminal repair stuff like this at the Ford dealer I am helping out at, I can check it out on Monday.