• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Thought i had started a thread on this on the old forum but cannot find it so i will start again.
Bought this a good few years ago whilst doing my blue one up when it suddenly appeared on a forum.
Laredo model in poor condition and looked very much like someone had stripped it all in pieces once and then abandoned it so i bought it unseen....
But it was cheap has a hard top and Scramblers are incredibly rare in the UK so thought i would be greedy and own two!.
Also thought it may be good if only for spares but once i took delivery it turned out to be a wide track so its even rarer over here and it came with some replacement floor panels and a new rear cross member among the other bits and pieces that came in bags and boxes..
Jeep (2) c.JPGJeep (3) c.JPG

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
So what to do with it?
Leave it sat in my way for the next 3 years and keep looking at it and poking more rust holes in it thats what!.
Some more photos of what was in it and not making me want to pile in to it!

20150128_203823.jpg20150129_153425.jpg20150129_153555.jpg20150129_153750.jpg20150129_153759.jpg20150129_153822.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
It does have a T176 and would of had the 2.5 in it which means 4.10 ratio axles which is nice but the old 2.5 had gone and been replaced with a Chevy 4.1 straight 6.
I have been looking out for a Chevy V6 to mate to the gearbox as the V8s are very,very expensive in the UK but i kind of like the old straight 6 so am thinking of keeping it as it looks kind of bullet proof.
It needs lifting up about 6 inch though no idea why they sat it so low.

20150129_153644.jpg20150129_153655.jpgengine.jpg20170219_203342.jpg

Last edited:

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Anyway i ripped the engine in bits last week which was painless but then found a hairline crack in the front of the block after it had been in the parts washer so may still be looking at a V6 unless i can get it welded/stitched or find a rare as hens teeth block somewhere.20180922_123053.jpg20180928_113818.jpg20180818_103506.jpg

Last edited:

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Bodytub needs quite a bit of repair work but the chassis other than the rear cross member seems okay even the body mounts are solid which i wasn't expecting at all.20170219_203417.jpg20170219_203433.jpg20170308_174453.jpgchassis1_174123.jpgchassis3_174453.jpgfloorpan.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Its going to take a while to put this one back on the road but should be worth it.
Dont expect an update unless there has been a holiday or a birthday as i just do not get time to do anything much normally, it will be painfully slow progressing that is for sure just like last time....

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Its going to take a while to put this one back on the road but should be worth it.
Dont expect an update unless there has been a holiday or a birthday as i just do not get time to do anything much normally, it will be painfully slow progressing that is for sure just like last time....
Are those guys from Wheeler Dealers still around? How cool would that be to have them do an episode?

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Are those guys from Wheeler Dealers still around? How cool would that be to have them do an episode?

More chance of them doing yours now i believe Wheeler Dealers are based in the States now?
Car SOS thats the one to watch now, but you do need one hell of a serious sob story to get on it, its a good watch if its available anywhere for you lot!

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I haven't watched them in ages. I'll see what I can dig up, I loved that show when it was UK based.

Edit: Oh boy!

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Well its been 7 months of very little progress but for some reason i got some energy and enthusiasm to do something on the 8 yesterday and today.
Tub is off and sat against the wall but that is a rusty mess and is going to be left for a while; longer!.
The chassis is stripped down but still sat on its axles with new rear cross member ready to fit.20190605_163704.jpg20190606_205428.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
How come everywhere i look there is rust and yet the shocker mounts and the Dana 300 shifter lever bolt look like they just left the factory??20190606_155840.jpg20190606_155844.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Next job is clean off the old weld from the previous owner installing the Chevy inline 6 and hopefully my MORE mounts will be here in the next day or two and i can bolt those on and see how this V6 lines up/sits.
Will try not to leave it as long next time!

20190606_205750.jpg20190606_205756.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Looks like great progress in a couple days.
I think the V6 will be better long term even though the old straight 6 chevys are similar in looks/size/dimension to that of the AMC 4.2

Keep up the good work!

cb

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Cleaned off most of the weld in a spare hour this afternoon, there are a few gouges left from the previous owner with the rust still in them no idea why!

20190607_174241_resized.jpg
20190607_174246_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
I like these, quite a lot of engineering in them explains the cost, will hopefully find out if they fit tomorrow!

Moremounts.jpg

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I can take some measurements if it would help you. I am around 1.25-1.5" offset to the drivers side. Distributor is very close to the firewall, I wanted to leave space for 2 extra cylinders. Further from the firewall will help with the fan shroud if you keep the mechanical fan. Those mounts should be easier to weld in than what i used as the height and offset appear to be fixed.