• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'84 CJ7 Renegade - frame off build

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Purchased this on 3/10/18. Figured I'd start a thread and catch up to today.

Neighbor two doors down got it in 1990 from original owner as his 16th birthday present. Parked it in 2001 when the trans let go. Aside from a quarter size hole in drivers floor it's solid. some surface rust you can see in the pics. Nice aftermarket front seats but sold them to replace with some originals. Interior door panels were almost black with mold. Rear seat wasn't much better. Below are the after pics from almost 2 cans of basic ArmorAll wipes. Will spend more time cleaning in the near future. Carpet looks salvageable but will definitely need some time to bring back. Original fog lights were stolen while he was in college. fortunately JerseyJeeps hooked me up with a perfect set.

Final plan is as original as possible with the only exception being BFG All Terrain tires but in the same stock size.

IMG_1010.JPGIMG_1011.JPGIMG_1012.JPGIMG_1013.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SKT

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
the rust on the driver's door and rear bottom of the tub is strange. Neighbor said none of that was there when it was parked in 2001.

You'll notice the hood is a different color. Here's a story you can't make up:

neighbor came home from college and went on a family trip. Jeep sat near a barn and field where his mom had a salt lick for the deer/horses. They came home from the beach and it seems squirrels had drug up a part of the salt lick onto the hood and had a feast. It ate the paint. They took it to the local Jeep dealership and was told Cinnamon Metallic would be easy to match. Well you see the results.

You'll also notice the lack of Renegade decal on driver's side and center of the hood. Neighbor wanted the Jeep back but dealership said paint wasn't ready for decals. he picked it up anyway and planned to install decals himself. after much frustration he gave up and never did anything about it

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
next up was using some soap and water on the outside and then gutting the interior. I had the best helper I could ask for. She was so happy to have her cast off and could help. the bottom pics are of her "driving" it. she said the likes the little Jeep and was upset the radio wouldn't work
IMG_1025.JPGIMG_1024.JPGIMG_1023.JPGIMG_1022.JPGIMG_1021.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1019.JPGIMG_1020.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Teardown - nuff saidIMG_1027.JPGIMG_1028.JPGIMG_1029.JPGIMG_1031.JPGIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1033.JPGIMG_1034.JPGIMG_1035.JPGIMG_1036.JPGIMG_1038.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
all body panels and little bits that need to be Cinnamon Metallic went to my painter.IMG_1042.JPGIMG_1043.JPGIMG_1044.JPGIMG_1047.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1049.JPGIMG_1050.JPGIMG_1051.JPGIMG_1052.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
decided to start on the wheels. I had the original 4 center caps. I like the look of a rear cap on the spare tire so, as always, call up JerseyJeeps

Bringing back the original wheels is so satisfying to me. No, they are not perfect but knowing they are the ones that came on this Jeep (since I have a fairly detailed history of it) makes me smile. I went ahead and bought the tires. stock size but all terrain tread. Just enough to help the overall look of the Jeep.

IMG_1055.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1057.JPGIMG_1058.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1060.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I've said it before - ain't nothin' like fresh powder in the Summer

Trip #1 to the powder coater for chassis bits.

IMG_1053.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1061.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
forgot to add pics of chassis before final teardown. engine is at my AMC builder Jerry Tucker as we speak. I elected to deviate a little and asked for AMC blue to go on the engine. I know that wasn't original in '84 but I can't have a AMC era Jeep with a black engine. I just can't.
IMG_0779.JPGIMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_1045.JPG

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Awesome. I remember seeing the clean up pics when you got it.

I think I'd have a hard time tearing one down that started off that clean, but I guess you'll know everything has been addressed when it's back together.

How long have you been working on it so far?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I’ve owned it now for a little over 5 months. Realistically I’ve worked on it 1/3 of the time I’ve had it. The Plymouth keeps dragging me back to it

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
You've made a ton of progress only being 1/3 focused! I know Jerry did your Scrambler engine as well. I looked him up earlier this summer and am thinking it might be a better direction buying a 360 straight thru him with all his decades of experience going into it verse having my engine builder up here in Michigan rebuild of the block that I have. I don't think I have seen or heard of someone with his level of expertise with AMC engines. He does amazing work. I'm guessing you are really happy with all the work he has done with yours?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Jerry has built 5 motors for me now. He’s the only one I trust and I keep going back!

Men like him with his knowledge are dwindling. He does amazing work.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Jerry has built 5 motors for me now. He’s the only one I trust and I keep going back!

Men like him with his knowledge are dwindling. He does amazing work.
Thank you. I'll give him a call again this week.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Loaded up and headed to Jerry’s tomorrow to pick up the mighty 258

FCBF9529-167A-42E1-8AF2-A5A2FABEC4DA.jpeg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Progress slowed due to me installing a double 4 post lift in my double bay. Now I’ve got 6 in the garage and a truck outside. I’ve got issues I know....

Couple pics of the engine installed7045E734-F4B3-4AB2-B163-2D4DB9AFB3E5.jpeg

Attachments

• CA138D26-DAB6-46F0-AE40-05D0BCA879FD.jpeg
    CA138D26-DAB6-46F0-AE40-05D0BCA879FD.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 8EC3D23E-DFAB-454B-950D-3A28471679D2.jpeg
    8EC3D23E-DFAB-454B-950D-3A28471679D2.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 43
  • D375EB76-2112-423E-8D7A-9C29EADE2D31.jpeg
    D375EB76-2112-423E-8D7A-9C29EADE2D31.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 48
  • C9736AD1-226A-4494-88D7-BB9BBFFD6FA4.jpeg
    C9736AD1-226A-4494-88D7-BB9BBFFD6FA4.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 48

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Paint started to go down this week

7CF365C5-84DE-4825-9C0B-82B3374D5079.jpeg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Wow:bow:. I have never seen a double 4 post lift, I was trying to figure it out when I looked at the pictures.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Looking good...did Jerry do anything fancy to the 258 or just a stock rebuild?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
It’s bored .60 over making it a 272 I think?? Other than that just the usual smog delete, getting rid of anything unnecessary that robs power, HEI, etc.