• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Can't reach bolt!!!

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Hey guys! I'm trying to replace my starter but I can't get to a bolt. There are two bolts holding it on, one star head the other standard 6-point. The six-point one I can't get to. There's no room for a wrench to move, not enough clearance for a socket to seat on the head, and I have the four bolts off for the access panel to the flywheel but I can't get that off either!:mad: It seems that the starter is holding the panel on but I can't get the starter off with the panel on. Does this sound right? It seems like a typical Jeep design to me:rolleyes:

Any help would be great!

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
What engine do you have? With my 258, both bolts are easy to reach with a socket and 6" extension.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
kohldad said:
What engine do you have? With my 258, both bolts are easy to reach with a socket and 6" extension.

Got a digi camera? Take a picture for us to further help you.

Now a real tough bolt to get to is the body mount where your feet are!!
1/4" at a time! D'OH!!!

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
I have the 150 4-pooper. No digicamera though. Say your lying on your back with your head to the front bumper, the two bolts will be an a perpendicular plane to your body. The one on the left is starhead, the one to the right is right up against the access panel and the lower part of the oil pan is about an inch from it. I'll look around online for some pics of the starter...

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
if a wrench is too long to get any throw on it you could cut it down. I know that no one likes to cut up their tools but sometimes it's the only way... I would use a box end in case you need to use a pry bar or something for leverage.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Seems like you should be able to access that bolt with out modifying anything.

Try a different approach.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
wobble extensions, wobble sockets, extensions galore haven't met a bolt I couldn't reach yet ;)

Seriously, there has to be some way to reach it, it got on there right?